The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Peniche to Cascais Log

One night was enough for us... we were woken several times! The cause was the fishing fleet who motored out of the harbour at great speed sending their wash into us. We felt for Flirtie as she rolled into and away from the yacht moored next door which was rolling similarly pulling our mooring lines and vice versa. They must have been woken too!

Before we left we noticed a number of yachts where their fenders had 'popped out' from between the yacht and the pontoon - it must have been rolly! We slipped away quietly somewhat relieved to leave Peniche.

Thankfully there was no fog but the visibility was still poor and it was cloudy - not a cheerful morning :-(. With no wind or swell we were motoring again and kept ourselves entertained with the usual lobster pot spotting and avoidance tactics whilst listening to some tunes on the iPod. I even took the opportunity to get creative with the camera.


bow reflection

Whilst looking into the sea I noticed hundreds of small crabs floating approximately 1m below the surface just drifting with the current - a strange, weird sight indeed. It reminded me of a scene in 'Finding Nemo' when Marlin, Nemo's father joins the EAC (East Australian Current) with the turtles!

By mid-afternoon the sun came out and finally the northerly wind arrived at a force 5 which allowed us to roll out the genoa and actually "sit back, relax and enjoy the ride" as we sailed past the two most western headlands, Cabo da Roca and Cabo Rajo. Apparently it can get a bit rough at times but today the conditions were just great.



With the sun out and visibility much improved we could see the fantastic coastline, now very rugged cliff faces, rustic in colour and beautiful.



As we approached the bay of Cascais we had the choice of anchoring or to go into the rather 'posh' looking marina. The anchorage looked really busy so we opted to spend a few nights in the marina. Arriving at the reception/fuel pontoon we were greeted by two marineros who took our ropes and directed us to the office to check-in (the office entrance looked just like an entrance of a hotel). Once we'd completed all the necessary paperwork we were allocated a berth number and asked if we needed assistance to moor. Then we were given a bottle of red 'Cerejeiras' wine, produced in Portugal somewhere in the Lisbon area... 'with compliments' of the marina.

Total distance this season: 949.83 nautical miles


Comments