The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Lisbon to Oeiras (at the mouth of the River) Log

We decided to leave the marina at HW primarily to avoid the strong current that swirls through the sluice gates. Unfortunately during our stay we've seen a couple of yachts suffer damage because of the currents and the sluice gates aren't very friendly being made of steel with little protection. :-(

High water was mid-morning so we had a leisurely start which we were extremely grateful for having spent the last two evenings socialising until a reasonably late hour.

Our journey wasn't far, literally to the entrance of the Tagus River to shave a couple of hours off tomorrows journey to Sines. We were lazy... we didn't even bother storing the fenders (shoddy, I know) and we didn't unfurl the sails but instead just took in the sights for a final time before leaving the river and heading South.

As we motored past the docks and under 'bumble bee' bridge which was as noisy as ever we noticed that the "Monument to the Discoveries" had scaffolding and drapes hiding all the navigators on both sides. We had to question why now in mid-August, peak tourist season and both sides of the monument were covered! - we felt for the visitors who would have been so disappointed.

As Oeiras approached we experienced wind over tide conditions producing a lumpy sea with a strong current running across the entrance to the marina. Bruce "floored it" (his words) and we were through, rounding the dog-leg into the tranquillity of the marina itself where we moored up to the fuel/reception pontoon to report in.

The staff allocated us a berth and presented us with a soft bag containing information about the area together with marina leaflets and asked if we wanted fresh bread delivered tomorrow morning. I desperately wanted to say 'yes' but instead had to say 'no' because we we're planning to leave at first light. :-(.

Total distance this season: 981.75 nautical miles


Comments