The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

excellent wifi at Portimao

With mooring prices still expensive we didn't want to waste any time checking out the marina and local area.

The marina is part of a hotel complex, surrounded by uniquely coloured low-level apartments. It's got a true holiday feel with a couple of outdoor swimming pools, indoor pool, gym, spa and access to golf courses nearby together with several restaurants, bars and cafes to choose from.

We walked around the perimeter of the marina complex passing several golf buggies on route which lead us to Praia da Rocha where we found even more restaurants, bars, a few tourist shops and booths advertising jet bike hire, banana boat rides and boat trips etc. On one of the many advertising boards there was a poster showing the schedule of summer events but now that we're in September the summer is officially over so all the scaffolding, tarpaulins, staging and speakers were being dismantled - No wonder our anchorage was a tad noisy.

We didn't spend any time looking around the town as our priority was finding a supermarket within walking distance and to check out the facilities at the marina especially wifi to see if the connection was reliable and fast enough to skype our family & friends. The showers were clean and warm albeit a bit small. Like Lagos the jetties are showing their age but the mains electrics appear much safer and security far better.

It's fair to say that we hit the wifi hard speaking for several hours using Skype with absolutely no interrupted service - it's the best wifi connection to date and one huge tick in the box as far as we're concerned.

Whilst hear we also jumped into the dinghy and took a trip up river to check out the dri-dock and facilities - the travel lifts appear to be in good order and security around the dri-dock excellent! As a bonus there are a couple of well stocked chandlers and a number of companies offering various services for yachtsman.


Comments