The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

doesn’t she look smart

From the moment we took ownership of "Flirtie" one of the things we wanted to do was smarten up her name. Back in the manufacturers workshop in 1990, a signwriter was employed to paint Flirtie's name onto her transom and superstructure but not surprisingly after 23 years it lacks lustre and is showing it's age.



We considered sourcing some paint and touching up the lettering ourselves but then we found out that our close friends Barry & Steph had all the facilities and materials to produce vinyl lettering in any style we fancied. We couldn't quite believe it....is there anything they can't produce?? Numerous photographs of the existing typeface and a few measurements followed so that the existing font could be replicated as closely as possible.

Well that was twelve months ago and the vinyl graphics have travelled with us all the way from Rochefort to here in the Algarve. Barry warned us on numerous occasions that he was slightly concerned that the transfer tape may let us down but for whatever reason we never seemed to find the time to fit them.

So here we are armed with acetone, t-cut & various grades of wet'n'dry removing the old name in preparation for the new graphics. Barry advised us to take a quick look at a few youtube clips before fitting them which we did and then we decided on the "Centre Hinge Method" applied wet. If you want to watch what we think is one of the more informative videos take a quick look below:



...just the transfer tape to remove



....dah dah




Thanks again Barry and Steph for your help with this little project. I'm sure you'll both agree that "Flirtie" looks a lot smarter sporting her new graphics.


Comments