The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

a new crapper

Contrary to widespread belief Thomas Crapper did not invent the flush toilet (this honour goes to John Harrington in 1596...and the use of the word 'john'), but instead through his company Thomas Crapper & Co he did much to increase the popularity of the toilet.

On Flirtie we have two Lavac Zeniths but regrettably the costs of spares are silly money and we could buy a replacement Lavac Popular (http://www.sparesmarine.co.uk/webshop/toilets/?brandFilter=Lavac) for less than the cost of the spares we need. As an additional incentive the same spares for this model are very reasonable so we can only assume that the marketing arm of Lavac really want us all to migrate to their latest model.


The old Lavac Zenith

For information if you're looking to do the same the footprint/bolt holes are in an identical position as is the outlet (this is in fact a shared part with the original Zenith) which makes for easy mounting but unfortunately the inlet is no longer a straight spigot but instead is at ninety degrees to the original so you need to reroute your plumbing or purchase a straight nylon hose tail (1/2" BSP/19mm hose tail) from your plumbers merchant or DIY centre. Why Lavac don't offer this as an option I don't understand but it's a problem many cruisers have faced and talked about on various forums.


Comments