The adventures of Yacht Flirtie

"Hi, we are sailing yacht Flirtie's crew, Bruce and Caroline. Welcome to our blog.

Barbate to La Linea Log

We can summarise today's journey in a single word, 'unforgettable'.

The 'Straits of Gibraltar' is a fascinating stretch of water. Just 8 miles wide at its narrowest point separating Europe from Africa. From a navigational point of view it has shipping lanes, currents and over falls to contend with. There is also a permanent East going tidal flow that compensates for water loss in the Med through evaporation. Whales frequently transit the area so a good lookout is suggested, no problem for us as we're always on the lookout for sea life.

Approaching from the west it is recommended that the tides, easterly flow and westerly wind are with you, making for a smooth passage. Low water was around 10.30 so we had a relaxing morning before leaving around lunchtime. The weather forecast predicted westerly force 2-4 so there was a possibility of some sailing.

Yesterday as we approached Barbate we kept the tunny nets to our right. Today we decided to aim for the inner tunny net marker which is 100m from the breakwater (and shore), clearing the marker by a just a boats length before heading off on our chosen course which saved us a couple of miles on our trip.

As we approached the Straits the views were superb with the magnificent Atlas mountains of Morocco on the one side and green, almost mountainous countryside littered with hundreds of wind turbines on the other.


Atlas mountains including shipping


wind turbines everywhere

Winds in excess of 30 knots can be experienced for 300 days of the year at Tarifa. We were ready for it, sailing with just the genoa out. Tarifa arrived and with it only 17 knots of wind and 4 knots of current taking our speed to an impressive 8 knots, weren't we fortunate!


Tarifa, the most southerly city of mainland Europe.

It wasn't long after Tarifa when Bruce shouted 'Ah-ha, Gibraltar!' having glimpsed the smallest of land. I wasn't convinced at first but sure enough as every mile passed the rock came into view and started to get larger, more pronounced and its shape more distinct. What a sight and a great way to see Gibraltar for the first time by yacht. Fabulous.


Gibraltar ahead!

By the time we reached Algeciras Bay the wind disappeared completely. The bay was extremely busy with commercial ships of every description, hydrofoils and high speed ferries either moored to anchor or moving very, very slowly. With several ships in such close proximity our AIS 'flashed red' continuously (warning of possible collision) which was unnerving but allowed us to easily identify ships by name together with their associated speed and course.

There's a choice of marinas in Gibraltar, Ocean Village/Marina Bay and Queensway Quay. They all appeared to be ideally located for easy access into town but surrounded by hotels and bars. The pilot book indicated that a new marina now existed at La Linea, Spain. Reported to be cheaper, more spacious and with finger pontoons... just up our street and close enough to walk across the runway into Gibraltar.

Total distance this season: 203.56 nautical miles


Comments