Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 57 - Oxford, MD

27 May 2012
Sun 27 May 2012
Anchored Flatty Cove, Oxford, MD

[photo: one of many cute little homes]

We slept in until 0630 and then went up to the Comfort Inn for our complimentary breakfast. Casting off all the lines was Diane's job, which she did with aplomb. It was a beautiful morning with a light breeze from the SSW and we even had a fair current up the bay for much of the passage.

There were several sailboats (turns out they were all Catalinas a little larger than ours) heading in the same direction, and they were astern of us by a half mile or so. Everyone was motoring as the wind was right on our stern and not strong enough to help. The race (I mean, uh, the three of us sailing in the same general direction) got interesting when I noted they were sailing the marked channel. After they passed us by motor only, I deviated to a course that would cut off some distance and give us the wind at a better angle. After a short while, they were a half mile abreast of us and no longer leaving us in their wake.

After several hours, when in the Choptank River, the fair current turned foul (against us), but we were positioned to go up the much shallower water to the E, which meant the current was less and so we started pulling away from them. When we finally turned more to the N to follow the Tred Avon River to Oxford and they were apparently heading more E for Cambridge, the "race" was over.

In the Choptank River, we counted over 40 sailboats at one time. Many were purely sailing just for the enjoyment, but there were a number of cruisers heading for a specific destination. We made the observation that the vast majority of boats with dinghies (on davits or towed behind) had substantial cockpit coverings. Almost all the boats without dinghies had no covering. You can certainly see the sails better, but long-term cruisers can't afford to be in the sun (or inclement weather) too long.

We passed by Oxford and continued another 10 minutes to Flatty Cove where there is clear area for anchoring and much less boat traffic (and annoying wakes). Following a brief rest, we lowered the dinghy and headed into town for some exploration. It turns out there is no town center; we landed at Schooner's Restaurant, tied up the dinghy and walked to Morris Street where there are some historic homes, a park, a small museum, and a store (that seems to have a little of a wide variety of things).

It was in the high 80s with blazing sun in the clear skies; the nice breeze on the water was absent ashore and we (especially Duane) were hot. On the way back from the walk, we patronized Schooner's for a cold beer in the air conditioning, then took the dinghy back to Diva Di where we found the breeze was still delightful and keeping the boat interior comfortable.

Dinner was the leftover shrimp Fra Diavlo and the leftover chicken in lemon caper butter sauce, along with fresh asparagus from the local market. We are trying not to have anything very perishable when we arrive at Annapolis, for that is where we will (likely) rent a car and drive north to visit family over a week's time. I say "likely" because we have another recommendation for a mechanic in Worton Creek on the eastern shore, one day from Annapolis. After discussions with that person on Tuesday, we will see what the real plan is. We will still go to Annapolis to visit with Bill and Linda, of course.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL