Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 77 - Ludington, MI

13 August 2016
Day 77 - Sat 13 Aug 2016
Docked - Ludington, MI

[photo: the Badger is a large passenger and vehicle ferry that is the last using coal-fired boilers]

It rained hard overnight, which was perfect. It brought much needed moisture to the region and didn't interfere with too many people's activities. We both slept really well and partly due to the lack of light, didn't get up until just after 0600. I was eager to enjoy the shoreside facilities once more before we left, so I walked up, got a fresh pot of coffee going, took a nice shower, etc.

Diane enjoyed the drip-brewed coffee as a change of pace from the percolator and had made toast and jam while we were still connected to shore power. Working as a well-practiced team, we got the boat ready for departure and cast off at 0700. Tom, our dock neighbor, helped us get off the dock with the current pushing us on. The forecast winds and waves had not appeared, which didn't bother us one bit, and we motored down the coast under completely overcast skies and a light drizzle.

The one thing that kept the helmsman on duty occupied was the well over 100 fishing boats slowly trolling along about the same path that we were taking to round the next point of land. It didn't take too much maneuvering on our part to keep clear of them, but since they were all moving and sometimes zig-zagging across our course, it kept us on our toes. If I heard correctly at the marina, this was a steelhead trout tournament.


We arrived at the marina and tied into our slip with no help, and then I checked in. Harbor View Marina has a pretty decent lounge, baths, and showers, but the big draw for us was the nice pool and spa. I was in the spa under gray skies and threat of rain until almost noon. After lunch, we both went up as it cleared a little, but another quick shower sent Diane back to the boat to close up the openings against rain intrusion.

She was content to lounge on the boat most of the day, while I was admittedly too busy making conversation with just about everyone. Most were fascinated with our trip, but I was interested in their methods for catching fish up here. It was a good exchange.

For supper, we had the last of the fresh lake trout, but this time I blackened it with a special seasoning and it was wonderful. We had some of the fresh green beans and a microwaved sweet potato to round it all out. After supper, while Diane cleaned up and elected to stay aboard, I went back up to the pool but took almost 30 minutes to get there after stopping for a long chat with one group of dockside partiers.

As a bonus for my socialization, I was invited with the strongest terms, to go salmon fishing with a family in the morning, leaving at 0445. That is not a problem for me, so I will report tomorrow how things went. I am looking forward to a fun morning fishing tomorrow, and an afternoon checking out the town with Diane.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL