Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 37 - N. Myrtle Beach, SC

08 May 2012 | Docked at Barefoot Landing, N. Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon 7 May 2012
Docked at Barefoot Landing, N. Myrtle Beach, SC

[photo: inside of a gift shop at the Barefoot Landing]

The evening was cool with the NNE breeze coming off the nearby ocean. It was such a comfortable night that Duane slept as long as Diane, until 0700. He found out that being in bed when Diane awakes of her own accord has its rewards.

It was a leisurely early morning, and then Diane set out to stroll the shops, literally at our back door, while I set out to diagnose the windlass problem. I had to partially disassemble the V-berth (forward) to access the motor and switch and quickly determined that the switch was the problem. With Diane's help, I could loosen the screws from the upper side of the deck while Diane prevented the guts of the switch from disappearing down the vast cavern in the bows.

When I saw the switch contacts were severely worn, I realized I could file/sand the one portion, and simply flip one contact over and use the opposite side of the movable section. With that done, we reassembled it and it worked great. I enjoy the occasional challenge, but I would be quite happy to have my challenges for this cruise behind me. I know; that is fanciful dreaming!

After lunch, we got on the bikes and rode to the beach; this time we timed the traffic lights well and didn't almost get killed. The beach was great, even though there was (and for Duane, because of) little unbroken sun and lots of cool wind. I am still amazed at how hard packed that sand is, even 100 feet from the surf line. It wasn't uncomfortable to lie on, and actually was beneficial for Duane's latest malady.

It seems that the mighty struggle with the heavy chain and anchor in that wild current/wind situation yesterday morning left Duane's lower back muscles (spinae erectors, to be precise) in agony. It is an agony that grew slowly through the morning and didn't manifest itself as near-excruciating until the bike ride. Once at the beach, lying on the hard sand and performing pelvic tilts seemed to stretch the muscles out and allow temporary relief.

Getting up after almost 2 hours was interesting, shall we say. From then on, the pain was no longer near excruciating; it was full-fledged excruciating. We got back to the main drag (Hwy 17) and stopped to pick up some fresh produce and milk. Poor Diane had to carry the backpack since there was no way I could with my back, and my weight alone is already pushing the bike's limits.

Back at the boat, I got the hose connected to fill the water tanks (averaging 5.6 gallons per day, by the way) and will be washing off the boat after I perform a two-step medical treatment. Step 1 is to apply a heat pack to my back. Step 2 is to apply a carefully-measured liquid analgesic (gin). I am enjoying both as this is typed.

Okay, the pain-relief treatment worked to a small, but measurable, degree and the deck is now free of all the mud stains and the dirt that accumulates. I was happily interrupted at least three times by passers-by (cruisers and tourists) to chat. It is nice to have that sporadic social interaction and it helped take my mind off the back pain for a few minutes at a time.

Earlier today, I spent over an hour researching the tide/current information on the Internet in order to determine when we should leave from here to reach Southport, NC and then when to leave there for Wilmington, NC the following day. Reports are that rampant that heading up the Cape Fear River against the tide in an underpowered boat is pointless.

After spending all that time getting current and tidal height info and analyzing it, I came across an Internet posting that a certain publication, Skipper Bob, recommends leaving N. Myrtle Beach two hours after low tide to head to Southport with the maximal benefit of the current. This finding does not conflict with my analysis, so the plan is to leave tomorrow at 0730 and see how it goes.

We strolled (sort of) to an Italian Restaurant named Umberto's and we were really happy with that choice. Diane's eggplant parmesan and my seafood over pasta were terrific and the appetizer/salads that they serve before the meals are tasty and filling enough that you almost don't need the meal.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL