Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 14 - Bimini

11 April 2014
Day 14 Thu 10-Apr 2014
Bimini
LAT N25 deg 43.57
LON W079 deg 17.85

[photo: homemade basketball court]

I was up somewhat early to get some decent speed on the Internet to check weather, email, etc. and was confounded by not being able to connect to our Comcast email at all. An hour later, what really confused me was that Diane's account did connect and download, but neither of mine will. What is also bad is that I cannot connect to any of the Comcast web pages that will give you access to check email through the web and bypass any email client you might be using. I will turn my attention to other things and try to be patient.

The activity level went up rapidly mid-morning when I attempted to find out where I could get some clear acrylic sheet to replace the bottom of our 'looky' bucket. That is where you replace the bottom of a bucket with clear material so you can push the bucket slightly underwater and see very clearly. It does away with all the ripples that distort your vision.

Our acrylic was cracked, so a repair was needed, and after three attempts, someone came through for me and I bought a scrap piece about 18 inches square for $10. Borrowing a nice cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool from Glen, I made a new bottom in short order. I had the drill, bits, and sealant to finish the job and it came out fine.

In the middle of searching around, though, Steve came over looking for tidal info, which I supplied. As he was leaving, Rats came over to return the book I gave him. As I was carry that to the common area, Lynn came over with a Bahamian woman who was supposed to deliver fresh conch salad to some of the boats that left yesterday. I felt sorry for her and bought two-thirds of what she had. It was quite pricey, but very good. By noon, the job was done and I had hardly spilled any sealant on me or the boat.

While the gang gathered in small groups to admire the handiwork, we had to discuss the afternoon plans. The ladies were leaving at 1700 to go to the market because the supply ship was due in today. Some of the men were taking the 1600 walk. I suggested we have a heavy hors d'oeuvres and liqueur-tasting party at 1800. I plan to bring a pizza loaded with fresh veggies. Diane is starting to think that we did not bring enough food from home, after all. She's right, but for just a little extra money, we can stock up here, Nassau, and Georgetown.

Diane and Lynn walked the beach looking for shells and sea glass, while I made the short trek to the liquor store to get a liqueur for tonight, plus restock some rum. I got the pizza sauce cooked and the veggies par cooked, and then it was time for the 1600 walk about. We discovered that the supply ship had not come in after all, so the ladies will be attempting to reprovision on Fri.

The party was quite fun, with good food, drink, and lots of laughs. By 2030, it was time to walk back to Diva Di and hit the sack.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL