Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 21 - Norman's Cay

21 April 2014
Day 21 Thu 17-Apr 2014
Norman's Cay, Exumas
LAT N24 deg 35.93
LON W076 deg 49.43

[photo: view from hill on Shroud Cay looking toward ocean]

It was nice having a very comfortable breeze blowing through the boat and no bugs. We both slept well and felt very rested. It is a great feeling not to be preparing to move again today. When we do move, the next stop is Shroud Cay, just a short hop south.

At 0900, Glen from Footloose and I met Ed and Cheryl on Slowdown for a chat. As we discussed weather and plans, Windfall weighed anchor and did another close pass as they headed up to Nassau. We all shouted our goodbyes and then they popped the spinnaker and looked beautiful sailing northwest.

By 1040, we had rendezvoused near the beach in our dinghies and made our way somewhat slowly through the steep waves to the south end of the island, picking our way in between the dark spots which could be coral. The coral area gave way to smoother, deeper, more beautiful water and we decided to stop at a small island with a long palm tree and a small wood loveseat on its small hill. It was a Kodak moment, to be sure.

From there, we made our way north across the flats that are dry at low tide. The tide was up about two-thirds of the way, but would be dropping fast. Getting up to Norman's Pond was a challenge in some spots, but a great way to re-learn how to read water depths by the color. We took turns leading, and eventually got up into the Pond. Getting a bigger boat in there (i.e. a boat like ours) would be a challenge, but then you would have terrific protection from any wave action even in a hurricane.

The beauty of the water and scenery that we experienced was amazing. We didn't dally long because getting back would be even harder with the tide dropping. Diane and I actually had to get out several times to pull the dink, but the other two did not have that problem. Once in the deeper water, we stopped at a different island that sported some ruins. We enjoyed our picnic lunch and then headed back to the other side of Norman's. The ride back was exhilarating up on plane going with the wind and waves.

We beached the dinghies, and then walked up the nice, wooden walk to the restaurant that used to be called MacDuff's. It was in even better shape than in 2008, and under new management. Jerry, the manager, explained to us that there is a lot of money being poured into the island to expand and improve the runway, build a large, fancy marina in what is now the pond (glad we saw it in its natural state), and generally add many more luxury accommodations.

While there, we decided to have a beer, but only Glen brought money. Our 5 beers cost him about $34 - ouch! Before we knew that, we had made reservations for dinner at 1730 tomorrow; it will likely be an expensive night. Everyone rallied at Diva Di to pick up their fish from JJ and we went our separate ways for the day.

Diane defrosted the freezer and cleaned the refrigerator, then I cooked up part of the dinner to have it ready for later to accompany the fish. I also cooked up some ground beef that needed to be used, along with a medley of veggies as another meal or two for the near future. It is a good thing I enjoy the challenge of determining how to cook the various ingredients by what method and it what order to minimize the number of pots involved, but it sure does take time. Fortunately, the stereo and a tasty beverage make the time go by sweetly.

At 1700, we put Clyde in his harness and lead and took him ashore for his first walk on Bahamian sand for this cruise. He has been ashore before, but usually on the dock or marina grounds. This was a real beach. Duane took his first opportunity this cruise to kneel in 3 feet of 82F water and take in the beautiful surroundings. I would be inclined to say that most people who can experience this have paid their dues of long and often uncomfortable passages by boat to enjoy this, but that is not quite true. With enough money, you can find several different ways to get here without any discomfort at all.

Back aboard, it was time to eat. I used a spicy seasoning on the Mahi-Mahi that JJ gave us, and blackened it in a frying pan. Along with the rum-caramelized sweet potato chunks, and green beans almandine, it was truly a feast.

We had taken quite a few photos today with our camera (as opposed to a cell phone), and were disappointed to find back onboard that the camera no longer powers on. I recharged the battery just in case that was the problem, but it isn't. I hope that the camera did not get salt water inside it, but I fear that is the case. The memory card inside also does not work in the computer to transfer the remaining images. I guess we will have to use the cell phone for photos from now on.

It has taken 3 weeks to get here, traveling 480 nm, which is about 75% of the way to our turn around point. We now have about 3 more weeks to enjoy the Exumas and get to Long Island far to the south. Then we will hope to explore some interesting islands farther east and work our way back home. Since we think at this point we will go home via the Okeechobee Waterway that starts on the east end near Stuart, FL, our path home could take us through the Abacos. That would be a welcome change to the Nassau-Bimini route we used to get here.

Bedtime came extra early as the wind speed picked up. We should not have to worry about being too warm sleeping tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL