Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Preparations are WAY behind schedule

28 February 2015
Let me start by saying we have no problems. We have our health, each other, and better financial means than so many on this earth that it is downright wrong to complain. Human nature being what it is, however, let's say a number of things are not going as we hoped.

Bringing our 2006 PDQ 34 power catamaran back across FL from the east coast was both bliss and horror. It was bliss to realize what a terrific and comfortable boat we had bought. It was horror for Diane to find the port engine leaking fuel at several of the injectors. Without adequate service manuals or tools aboard, I elected to run the next several days to home on just one engine. Except for the obvious challenges at slow speed and at docks and locks, the boat runs very well on just one engine. I am sure that will come in handy for the many hours we will have to run at slow speed in various portions of our big journey.

Aside from the engine problem, which is still not resolved almost two months later, I have had to replace the forward A/C unit entirely, and perform major surgery on the aft A/C unit to replace a rusting drain pan and help slow the rusting of the compressor due to inadequate drainage.

There is not enough time or space to detail all the many things that we have been doing on the boat for the past 7 weeks, but at least the list is getting very short. Once the engine is finally fixed, we will be in good shape. The balance of the parts for the engine (intake manifold gaskets and fuel injector seals) should be in by 3 Mar, and then we will see if that is all that needs attention.

Our hope had been to be completely ready 3 weeks ago and have the time and energy for another shakedown cruise, plus some parties, boat tours, and even rides in the harbor. At this point, we will be fortunate just to be ready for a 27 Mar departure.

I will try to post again soon with better news.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL