Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Yet another wrinkle, but still hopeful

16 March 2015
It is down to two remaining problems and then we are ready. The service center has had our dinghy outboard for 14 days now and is still waiting on carburetor parts. The excuse is that they are not a Suzuki dealer, so it takes longer. Pardon me, but that is ridiculous. If I knew I needed a carb rebuild kit, I could have ordered it online and had it long ago, even without priority shipping.

More importantly in many respects, however, is the discovery that there is a lot of engine oil pooling in the duct between the turbocharger and the intake manifiold. I should not waste my time typing too much about how I am going to handle that until after I have a phone conversation with the chief mechanic where this boat was supposedly professionally maintained. The yard owner seems to be a straight up guy from all accounts, so I am hoping we can get the details of exactly what they did and did not do on that engine.

I will add that while this is not a good thing at all, the engine runs OK, just puts out more smoke than it should. One option would be to put the engine back in service and use it to get across the state to where the yard is located, since it is basically along our route. Assuming they defray to some or all of the repair cost, it might make sense to do that. The alternative is for me to take off the turbo and send it out for repair myself, but that jeopardizes our departure date and the ability to join or club's cruise on the 27th.

More details as they become available...
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL