Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Continuing the port engine diagnosis

17 March 2015
This morning I pulled the duct off between the turbo and intake manifold to find about ΒΌ cup of oil, which I drained and tried to clean the duct as well as I could and then reinstalled it. I moved the breather hose from the intake filter and placed the end into a large clear bottle. When the engine started, there was considerable smoke that did not diminish at all throughout the 15 minute test. I let the engine warm up, and then applied a load at the dock up to 1500 RPM in gear for 10 minutes, which is a much thrust as I dared with my pilings and lines.

My Observations:
1. Absolutely no oil came out of the breather hose (yes, I verified it was unobstructed).
2. Placing my finger over the hose allowed some pressure to build up, but it did not seem excessive.
3. Opening the oil fill on the valve cover did allow a fair amount of air to come out, which is more than I am used to on other engines, but maybe not excessive. There was no oil spitting out with that air, however.
4. Through the oil fill hole, you can clearly see the large openings where the pushrods for #1 cylinder come up and any oil lubricating those rocker arms obviously has no obstruction to draining back into the crankcase.

Conclusions?
I am not the expert here, but if the oil that puddles in the intake duct is not coming from the breather, then it would have to be from the turbo. The only caveat I can think of is that I was not able to run the engine near full power and something might be different with the breather hose, however, the excessive smoke from startup throughout the test would indicate that the source of the oil was present from the beginning, even under low load. The turbo bearing section is getting full lubrication pressure even when the turbo is not really doing much, so a serious leak there would cause the symptoms we see at any load.

I reported the above to the servicing yard and hope to have another discussion later today about the next step.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL