Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 17 - Charleston, SC

14 April 2015
Day 17 - Mon 13 Apr 2015
Anchored – Charleston, SC

[photo: one of many beautiful homes along the waterway]

We both slept wonderfully and got up a bit early with all the rest we needed at 0500. As the pre-dawn twilight appeared, we made our preparations and cast off to resume our journey N. There are many places along the ICW where the current can be with you for a while and then against you for about an equal time. This was one section where it was against us 90% of the time.

It took us 8.5 hours to go 101 statute miles, which is the longest we have done in daylight hours to date. The weather was overcast, gloomy, and according to Diane, downright cold in the wind, but we had no rain or thunderstorms, despite the unsettled weather across the whole region. It was a more boring stretch than usual, but we had no incidents, so it was a good day.

The last 2 times we came through a narrow waterway called Elliott Cut, we had the current running with us. This time it was 3 kts against us and what a difference that makes, especially that you have to proceed somewhat slowly through the water to minimize your wake, so your speed over the ground can be less than 3 kts in a really slow boat. In our case, it was as low as 5 kts.

We finally popped out in Charleston Harbor and motored into waves and wind for a while until we tucked in behind Crab Bank. At low tide, it is an exposed bank; at mid-tide and higher it is just shallow water. As of 1930, there are no longer boats zipping by at speed with no regard for their wakes, and the wind has moderated to about 5 kts. The forecast is for safe, comfortable conditions tonight, but there is a high probability of rain all week.
Tomorrow, we will make a much shorter run to Georgetown, SC, and take another marina.

On our past visits, the small harbor has been filled with private moorings and there was little room to anchor. This is also where the sailboat anchor windlass stopped working and I had to haul the anchor and chain by hand. Doing it without regard to proper body mechanics, I hurt my lower back for about 3 weeks and was in agony. Not that it plays a role here, but at least the marinas here are not too pricey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL