Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 153 - Lunenburg, NS

27 August 2015
Day 153 - Thu 27 Aug 2015
Docked - Lunenburg, NS

[photo: sailboat gliding under a nearly full moon]

Despite the waves rolling up the harbor and rocking the boat and dock all night, it wasn't too bad and we both slept well. I checked weather first thing to find that it looked prudent to remain here another day. That just makes our timing a little bit tighter for leaving Nova Scotia, but it should work out fine.

I needed something to do, so after Diane was finished with her morning cleaning routine, I got started making a batch of chicken and orzo soup. It wasn't all that chilly in the boat when I started, but it sure warmed up quickly and smelled good. We had read about a farmers market here every Thu, and Diane was busy with some things, so I got out my bike and rode over in the blowing mist. Of course, I missed the shortcut and went the long way around, but I got there.

It was inside an arena (smart in this environment, I guess) and was really quite nice. Aside from the usual vegetables, meats, seafood, bread, etc., there were works by various local artists (paintings, photography, sculpture, etc.), plus a man playing guitar. I guess that describes most decent farmers markets you see today, but it was surprisingly good to find it here and today while we were stuck. I got some fresh bread, blueberries, and scallops and headed back to Diva Di.

The two other boaters here on our dock (who live within 50 miles of here, by the way) had no idea about the farmers market and said they would walk down. I hope they did it sooner rather than later because it started pouring rain an hour later. It was a good day to research several important facets of our journey yet to come: the best route from Shelburne to Yarmouth around the dreaded Cape Sable, the types of conditions to expect leaving Yarmouth for Maine, and the best place to clear into the US Customs in Maine.

Diane fixed a nice lunch for us and we spent some time reading and researching when, amazingly, the sun came out. We decided to clean up and walk around town again while we could. Diane did a lot of window shopping but no buying, and we strolled up and down most of the streets. We even walked most of the way to the area where I had bicycled to the farmers market, turned around and finished up with a final walk along the waterfront. The end of the rain and overcast brought out the crowds again.

We got a chance to meet the two sailing couples on the dock more intimately after our walk. Stan and Jackie, plus Gerald and Anne Marie joined us aboard Diva Di for a tour. As sailors who have spent a lot of time on small boats, they all appreciated the extra room and comfort we have. They left to their own devices, while awaiting company, and we relaxed before supper.

Our meal was pretty simple, but fresh and so good. We enjoyed pan-seared fresh scallops, fresh steamed yellow beans, and some rice pilaf. We were glad we didn't bother with a restaurant meal tonight. Afterwards, Stan and Gerald came over to chat and invited us to a rum party at one of the local places, but it started at 2000 and we knew we would be tired and not in the mood for it.

Diane relaxed down below and I read in the cool breeze of the cockpit until bedtime. The wind had already shifted to the W and reduced considerably, so tomorrow we should have a comfortable run to an anchorage S of Port Mouton called Carter's Beach.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL