Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 155 - Shelburne, NS

30 August 2015
Day 155 - Sat 29 Aug 2015
Docked - Shelburne, NS

[photo: part of the waterfront in Shelburne]

It was a very quiet night, but Diane surprised me by getting up several hours before I even wanted to stir awake. I wasn't quite curious enough to get out of the berth, but later I had the call of nature and checked on her. She had fallen asleep rather earlier than usual and when she awoke, she decided to see if the stars were blazing. While we had essentially no light pollution from manmade sources, it was one day shy of the supermoon, so that was lighting up the sky considerably and no stars were visible.

Supermoon is the layman's term given to when the moon in its non-circular orbit around the Earth is at perigee (closest to Earth) and also coincides with a full moon (when the moon and sun are opposite each other with the earth in between). It gives you a full moon that is noticeably larger and brighter than usual (assuming clear skies, which we had).

We both went back to bed, but got up at 0530 to prepare for a departure at first light, which was 0620. Our shortest course out of the anchorage towards our destination had us navigating between some large rocks, so it was best to be able to see them. The wind direction was good and the strength was very light, so it was a very comfortable several hours at first.

By 0830, the wind was building a bit and we had more wave action on the nose, but it was still pretty tame. We had a nice ride up the harbor to Shelburne and passed 3 large aquaculture sites on the W side. We tied up just 5 hours after departure at the Shelburne Harbour Yacht Club and checked in. Several boaters came up to say hi and one mentioned the farmers market just up the street. Our friends, Mike and Barb, were working there with their stands, so I suggested Diane freshen up and walk over while I got the boat properly secured, power plugged in, and washed down.

She came back with some good stuff just as I was finishing and said she had met up with Mike and Barb, who were visiting us aboard later. I got a shower ashore and scoped out the laundry and ladies' shower, as instructed. Mike and Barb showed up for a brief tour and visit, but poor Mike had to be the gracious guest and sample some Nova Scotian IPA (ale) and single barrel whisky. He surely didn't want to, but he is a kind soul. At least Barb got to rest her tired feet a bit as we sat and chatted.

When they left to get ready for tonight's soiree chez Turney, we took the laundry up to the club house and got that started. Barb had offered for us to do it at their house, but it was only one load and they already had enough commotion for one day. We walked N on Water St, enjoyed the downtown, and then found the local pharmacy. Barb had told Diane that even though Bonine (non-drowsy seasick medication) is not sold over the counter in Canada, pharmacists can 'compound' it and sell it. It was $1 per pill, about 3 times more than the mass-produced stuff she buys in the US, but it beats being seasick.

It was after 1500 when we got back to the boat, and we decided a nap was in order. The alarm came too quickly and it was time to dress for the evening. We got our stuff and walked the 10 minutes to the Turney's home to find Mike watching a chicken cooking on the BBQ and Barb busy inside making all sorts of good dishes. We had brought a few things to share, but the nuts needed a bowl. With that, Mike presented us with one of his own creations that he makes and sells - a beautiful apple wood bowl with hand carvings on a border. What a treasure!

We were joined in their garden dining area by their American friends, Peter and Lynn, and neighbor, Murray, and then enjoyed a lot of interesting and witty conversation before supper. The food was fabulous, and it was washed down mostly with wine made by a friend of Mike and Barb's. After a delicious cake by Barb, we sipped the last of the single-barrel whiskey we bought in PEI until all the guests left except us. We then retired to the living room for some home-made grappa and more delightful chat, including a lot about history that had escaped us until this trip.

The walk back was delightful with the mild breeze and comfortable temperatures. It truly was a wonderful day from start to finish. We will be here the entire day and night tomorrow and hope for good weather to move to a staging area - Cape Negro Island - for the not insignificant hope around Cape Sable Island to Yarmouth on Tue, weather permitting.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL