Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 159 - Yarmouth, NS

02 September 2015
Day 159 - Wed 2 Sep 2015
Docked - Yarmouth, NS

[photo: this place had some of the best reviews for food in Yarmouth. We didn't realize what it was until we saw it for real.]

Diane finally felt caught up on her rest. That day underway in horrible conditions really sapped her energy. We talked about our provisions and the limitations for bringing foods back into the US, so while Diane cleaned the boat I made another batch of crock-pot chili and a medley of chicken and veggies to put over pasta.

We took showers ashore and we were both, but especially Diane, grateful for the nice, hot water with plenty of pressure, not to mention the clean surroundings. We left the boat about 1100 and took a nice walk downtown to find a surprisingly large visitor center. It was built back when 2 large ferries each day were crossing between the US and here, but like so many other things, tourist traffic has dwindled.

Armed with a nice walking tour pamphlet, we took a nice walk of several miles up and down streets where examples of 1840-1890s architecture were displayed as churches or homes (mostly of former sea captains back when this was a booming place for sea travel). It was a nice sunny day with a light breeze that Diane thought was cold, but I found delightful. When we finished with that, we walked back to Diva Di to grab some lunch.

Afterwards, I started gathering the paperwork I would need to clear into the US as we neared our destination in Maine. The Small Vessel Reporting System cards we have allow us to clear in by telephone alone in almost all cases, rather than having to report in person or have a Customs and Border Officer visit the boat. The problem was that the card's telephone number was only for reporting into FL waters.

When I got on the CBP website to find a number (it was difficult and confusing - don't get me started!), I called it to find that whenever I selected one of the menu options, I was told it was invalid. I called another number and the officer said I had the correct number. Lastly, I emailed and received a reply within several hours with a different number to call. I have some faith it will work when I do. They already have my name and SVRS number and expected arrival info, so that should help.

I filled the water tank as we don't know when the next stop for water might be. While at the bow, I could not help but notice the pervasive odor of fish and it was coming mainly from the millions of fish scales and sometimes bits of flesh floating on the surface all around the marina waters. One of the locals said that he disagrees with the practice vehemently, but it is simply a case of the numerous fishing boats flushing out their fish holding tanks with harbor water after the catch is unloaded. This is definitely a working waterfront and if you like to eat seafood of any kind, you need this industry. Exactly how it does its business is, of course, up for debate.

We went for another walk along the Main Street this time and then looped back to the marina. I kept checking weather throughout the day, hoping it would stay as good as forecast. One thing I have learned is that weather windows (weather acceptable for your intended travel) never seem to get longer, only shorter. As of bedtime, it was still looking good.

Supper was some chili from the freezer and then we played Mah Jhongg for a while, with Diane being the big winner this time. Fog rolled in heavily about 2000 and it was the densest we have seen here in Canada, with visibility at 20 feet. It will be nice if it improves a bit in the morning when we try to leave, but I don't see why it would.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL