Diva Di's Cruising Adventures

Day 30 - Bobcaygeon, ON (top of Lock 32)

28 June 2016
Day 30 - Mon 27 Jun 2016
Docked – Bobcaygeon, ON (top of Lock 32)

[photo: one of the prettier locks on this trip so far, the Lovesick lock is on an island and the staff arrive by boat]

We got some rain last night with a bit of wind. I believe it was welcome in the area. A number of things have been somewhat different about our cruise this year, as opposed to last year. We are not eating out hardly at all, saving money and eating healthier. Also, it seemed I used to make a veggie omelet with home fries/onions twice a week. We have been out 30 days now and I think this morning’s omelet (no potatoes) was the third time.

There was a light fog on the lake, but we cast off at 0645 anyway to go slowly on one engine about an hour to the next lock where we tied up in solitude and waited. The visibility was about one-quarter mile and it was beautiful seeing the numerous islands, islets, and large rocks become distinct shapes as you approached. About halfway through, the fog dissipated and the view became even more spectacular. This was by far the best stretch of natural beauty we have seen in 30 days.

Before 0900, Willy Nilly and Sunday Service showed up. Sunday Service timed it perfectly and got locked through with us without even having to stop to tie up. We had the drill down well and the lockmasters were great about getting us through quickly. Unlike earlier sections where you get lifted (or lowered) 20-40 feet or so, these locks had pretty small lifts and that helped with the speed, of course.

When we got through the third lock of the day, Sunday Service was able to scoot ahead and make some time. We continued to cruise on one engine with Willy Nilly at about 7 kts and enjoyed it all. There were some narrow spots where two boats passing would make for a pucker factor, but despite the many twists and turns of the channel, there was nothing challenging. This section is also known for numerous rental (and private) houseboats, and we sure did see some.

At one point, we passed two adult loons with one baby each on their backs. We slowed so as not to disturb them, but the babies seemed pretty robust and the water not very cool. They hopped off the adults and started swimming around on their own. As nice as this was, Diane remarked that it was not an exciting trip today. I said, yes, we could have had the excitement of hitting a rock, getting clogged with weeds, being run down by a houseboat, or numerous other hazards. I will take pretty and boring any day.

We got to the town of Bobcaygeon about 1400, passed through the swing bridge and Lock 32 and then tied up on the wall. Willy Nilly elected to keep going, and the way the wind kept blowing, we hope they had a comfortable passage. The boat traffic was pretty minimal for the rest of the time we were there, which surprised us. We cleaned up and then walked across the canal into town. The part we explored looked very nice, and fairly touristy. Diane browsed quickly in a few high-end stores, saw shoes selling for $150 and said no thanks.

Diane suggested that we pick up some beer, since we only had six bottles since the beginning of the trip. I went into the Beer Store and had a few questions about the Ontario craft beers they advertised. First, no one there could answer any of my questions, and they said they only had a few examples in stock. I bought an IPA style I hoped I would like, but had to go to the LCBO (provincial liquor store) next door to find a much greater selection of what I sought.

We had hoped to find a nice pub to sit and order an ale, something we commonly did after our exploratory walk, but the only thing open was a sports bar and we decided to pass. Our next stop was the Foodland where we found everything we needed. Laden with two heavy bags, we walked back to Diva Di where the sun had warmed the cabin excessively.

On came the generator and air conditioning. About 1630, the PDQ Peregrin arrived and tied up near us. I helped them, greeted captain Gene and his crew, and listened to their tales of woe and how they were resolved. Gene said he had a few other issues and wondered if I had answers. It turns out I did; he needs a new part, and now he knows where the windlass switch is located. My good deeds done, I got back to Diva Di to make an early supper. The lasagna was heated and served with fresh garlic bread, and we enjoyed it with the special, local red wine that we received from our Brighton, ON, friends, Bud and Suzanne.

We shut the generator down to be nice neighbors and save fuel. It took until 1900 for the sun to slip behind a big tree in the park and let the boat start cooling down without the air conditioning. It was surprisingly quiet, but then it was a Mon. We both read and relaxed until bedtime.

Tomorrow, we will probably only go as far as Kirkfield, where we start going down in all the lifts. That should be faster and even more comfortable.
Comments
Vessel Name: Diva Di
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ MV34 Power Cat
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, FL
Crew: Duane and Diane

Diva Di Crew

Who: Duane and Diane
Port: Punta Gorda, FL