Doing the Loop in GH 3

A retired couple from the midwest set off sailing the Loop in June 2016. They travel about 2400 miles on a 1999 Hunter 260 sailboat, "GH3". Beginning Jan. 2017, they continue the journey on their newly purchased 2008 Catalina 320 MK II sailboat.

Vessel Name: Bucket List
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 320 MK II
Hailing Port: St. Louis, Missouri
Crew:
About:
22 November 2017 | MacKinaw City Marina
13 July 2017 | Port Severn, Ontario
11 July 2017 | Hyde Park, New York
30 June 2017 | Waterford, New York
28 June 2017 | Oswago, New York
01 June 2017 | Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor
14 May 2017 | Waterside Marina - Norfork, VA
23 April 2017 | Morehead City, North Carolina ... Mile Marker 203.6
07 April 2017 | Beaufort, South Carolina
27 March 2017 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
18 March 2017 | Anchorage on ICW adjacent to Cape Canaveral
13 March 2017 | Ft. Pierce City Marina
04 March 2017 | Old Bahama Bay
16 February 2017 | Lighthouse Point, Florida
13 February 2017 | 30 Miles East of Marathon
19 January 2017 | Cape Coral, Florida
17 January 2017 | Dunedin Municipal Marina, Dunedin, Florida
31 December 2016 | Dunedin Municipal Marina, Dunedin, Florida
06 December 2016 | Carrabelle, Florida
29 November 2016 | St. Andrews Marina, Panama City, Florida
Recent Blog Posts
22 November 2017 | MacKinaw City Marina

Wrap Up

We successfully transited all 208 miles of the Trent Severn Waterway. Once through the Big Chute Railway - we were quickly in Lake Huron / Georgian Bay.

13 July 2017 | Port Severn, Ontario

Tales from the Trent Severn Waterway

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue. We finished the Trent Severn Waterway; only 356 miles yet to Do!!!" T. Grass

11 July 2017 | Hyde Park, New York

CIA

30 June 2017 | Waterford, New York

Kids in the Cockpit

"Grandparent doesn't mean that you have gray hair and stay home cooking cakes for your grandchildren." Carine Roitfeld

28 June 2017 | Oswago, New York

NY State Canals

"Fifteen Miles on the Erie Canal" from Erie Canal Song

01 June 2017 | Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor

Our Slice of the BIG APPLE

"I say goodbye to all my sorrows And by tomorrow I'll be on my way. I guess the Lord must be in New York City." Lyrics to The Lord must live in New York City, Harry Nilsson

Marathon

13 February 2017 | 30 Miles East of Marathon
"Keywest - Where you're closer to Cuba than you are to Walmart." FaceBook - FunFun Fedigan

We have undertaken our first sailing adventure on "Bucket List" in 6 steps anchoring out 8 days in a row with our friends on "Living Life" as our buddy boat. This journey took us from Cape Coral, FL on the west coast of Florida to Marathon, FL in The Keys.

Before we actually purchased "Bucket List", the previous owner, Patrick, spent a day with us showing us all of the many systems in the boat and then going with us on a sea trial. After the purchase, Patrick showed Tom how change the oil and filters on our Yanmar inboard engine. He also recommended anchorages between Cape Coral and Marathon.

Patrick taking us on Bucket List on a Sea Trial




After the purchase a group of friends doing the Loop came to Cape Coral to see our new sailboat and to have a potluck "Ribfest". This group of friends include to same people with whom we crossed from Carabelle to Steinhatchee:
James, Nancy, Lucas and Marcos on Living Life;
Andrew and Jack on Tranquility 2 with Tigi their dog;
And Ross and Ruth on a trawler.

Ribfest at Cape Coral



1. Cape Coral to Gordon Bight
Our first solo outing on our new sailboat was brief. We cautiously motored from Cape Coral through a channel to an nearby anchorage at Gordon's Bight. On the way we stopped at a marina for fuel and a pump out. We got a great night sleep with Living Life anchored nearby.

2. Gordon Bight to Ft. Myers Beach

The next morning, Living Life and Bucket List meticulously followed the channel to the Gulf of Mexico. The two buddy boats sailed to an anchorage near Ft. Myers Beach.

That evening Living Life made arrangements for a diver to clean the bottom of their boat. Tom and Tracy worked on an issue with the new 2000 Watt generator purchased for their new boat. After limited success a call was made to Patrick, the former owner. The next day Patrick came out in his motor boat and the critical generator issue was resolved. Patrick is one of many awesome people we have met on this trip!

The crews of Living Life and Bucket List travelled some three miles up the channel in their respective dinghys where they caught the trolley and went to Ft. Myer's beach. Lucas and Marcos are great kids. Collecting sea shells with them helped Tracy to miss her grandchildren a little less.

Tracy collecting sea shells with Lucas and Marcos





3. Ft. Myers Beach to Marco Island

At first light the two sailboats left the anchorage near Ft. Myers Beach. Living Life was moving quickly with a clean hull and Bucket List was secure knowing that they had a functioning generator with which to charge their batteries.
After carefully following the channel out of Ft Myers Beach, the two boats sailed toward Marco Island.
At Marco Island they followed a maze of canals about 4 miles past beautiful homes to an anchorage. We made a quick trip to a nearby Piggly Wiggly as darkness started to fall.

Marco Island by Dinghy



Sailing to Marco Island


4. Marco Island to Indian Key

Sailing From Marco Island



At first light the two boats retraced their path leaving Marco Island behind. They sailed south to an anchorage at Indian Key. It was a lovely protected spot with few insects. This was in a fairly remote area with spotty cell phone coverage.
Because the next anchorage would have no cell phone coverage, the two boats decided to stay at Indian Key a second night. This would allow time for both boats to arrange marina slips at Marathon. The afternoon of the next day was spent dinghying to the island, Indian Key, and walking the shore.

Here is the Group at Indian Key



... and here we are being PHOTO Bombed by Lucas at Indian Key






5. Indian Key to Little Shark River
AKA "Who's the Man!"

We had a lovely day of sailing and motoring from Indian Key to an anchorage in Little Shark River. Tracy was at the wheel marveling at what a lovely uneventful day it had been while Tom was on the bow dropping the anchor. Suddenly without warning, the dinghy bumped the side of the sailboat and the Yanmar lurched to a sudden unexpected stop. Oops! The culprit was immediately apparent: the painter from our dinghy has been sucked under the sailboat and fouled the propeller.
For the first time. we missed GH3 which had an outboard motor. A fouled prop on an outboard is fairly easily fixed by tilting the motor up. Not so easy to clear the prop of an inboard. A swimmer must go under the boat and untangle or cut loose the offending line.
We were anchored in Little SHARK River. Just the name sent chills down Tracy's spine. There was no cell phone coverage in this remote area of the Everglades. No way to call for help. Without a moment hesitation, Tom got his swim suit, mask, fins and a knife. He slipped into the cold murky water. Two boats were anchored close by, Living Life and Last Call, whom we had not yet met. As Tom began numerous attempts swimming under the boat to free the line from the prop, James from Living Life and Scott and Karen from Last Call came to see why Tom was swimming in Little Shark River.
When Scott and James heard about the fouled prop, they were both willing to help. Scott had been a commercial diver and had a tool in his pocket. Without discussion, Scott slipped in the water of Little SHARK River with Tom. In minutes the prop was free and both men were safely out of the water!



People often say that the people are the best part of The Loop. Friends on a buddy boat and a stranger willing to help by swimming in Little SHARK River are additional proof that this statement is true.

6. Little Shark River to Marathon

Just before sunrise, the two sailboats left Little SHARK River. The weather was perfect to cross about 25 miles of open Gulf of Mexico to Marathon in the Florida Keys. There was plenty of breeze to justify sailing or motor/sailing. The waves were one foot or less. Dodging hundred and hundreds and hundreds of crab pots was the greatest challenge of the crossing. Both boats arrived safely at marinas in Marathon.

Sailing To Marathon




MARATHON

In Marathon we had a slip for a week at a lovely marina, Faro Blanco. Time passed quickly with docktales, bike rides, shopping, and visiting the the numerous Loop boats wintering there.

We got a pleasant surprise in Marathon. Through social media, owners of our home marina, Boulder, in Illinois learned that we were in Marathon at the same time they were at nearby Little Pine Key. Dennis and Petra contacted us and we spent two very pleasant evenings together Former pleasant acquantainces have now become friends.

Dennis and Petra visiting us at Varo Blanco



Here is a video of a Manatee enjoying fresh water while we replenished water on Bucket List.

He is lounging in the water between our boat and the dock.




We took the bus down to Key West with a bus full of fellow Loopers. While there we took a tour of Fort Taylor and saw the Birth Place of Pan American Airlines. (Tracy's Dad Ralph Tilney began his tremendous career as a pilot for Pan Am before WWII.)



Here is a walking tour of our marina - Varo Blanco






page visitor counter
who is online counter blog counter

Comments
Bucket List's Photos - Leaving on the Loop (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
 
1
20 Photos
Created 22 November 2017
11 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
27 Photos
Created 30 June 2017
23 Photos
Created 20 June 2017
20 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
25 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
11 Photos
Created 9 April 2017
5 Photos
Created 18 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 13 March 2017
10 Photos
Created 7 March 2017
9 Photos
Created 6 March 2017
8 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
8 Photos
Created 25 January 2017
20 Photos
Created 29 December 2016
1 Photo
Created 9 December 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 December 2016
3 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
7 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
11 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
1 Photo
Created 12 November 2016
7 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
6 Photos
Created 17 October 2016
2 Photos
Created 7 September 2016
No Photos
Created 20 August 2016
5 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
3 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
Loop Adventure in Beaver Island, LeLand and Frankfort dealing with high winds
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2016
3 Photos
Created 5 June 2016
No Photos
Created 5 June 2016

About & Links