Dol'Selene

Return to Marmaris, Turkey

23 September 2014
Photo: Datcha town wall.
Friday morning, 5th September at 08:30, we dropped the mooring lines and headed out of Kos Marina, Greece, motor sailing 36nm to Datcha, Turkey. Once anchored in the small harbour we went ashore and cleared Customs and Immigration using the same agent we used when we checked out of Turkey, a quick stop at the Turkcell shop to sort out phone and internet and we were back on the boat relaxing. It was fun watching the gullets trying to find a place on the town wall for the night, with a sailing flotilla in, room was limited and one poor yacht was definitely “the meat in the sandwich” between two large gullets.
Saturday we headed off to Kuruca Buku, sailing under headsail with the wind and sea behind us. We had the hatches open, when a 60m launch raced across our bows doing 17 knots and swamped us, the inside of the boat took quite a bit of water and Ash (our stuffed toy dog which has been on board Dol since she was launched nearly 20 yrs ago) got a salt water shower. After cleaning up the inside of the Dol, it was a relaxing afternoon and evening, the anchorage was not as busy as the last time we were here in June.
Time to try somewhere new, we motored with no wind up to Bencik Lim, a fiord like inlet not unlike the Marlborough Sounds and put a stern line ashore. We had the little cove to ourselves and enjoyed a couple of days swimming and relaxing. The Turkish Coastguard arrived the first afternoon doing routine checks of Transit Logs and Blue Cards, the next evening a turtle surfaced next to the boat, looked at us then decided to submerge again. We have noticed the days have started to get shorter and the evenings cooler, not quite sweatshirt time but will be soon.
Kuyulu Buku was our next stop, again a very pretty bay with pine trees down to the water. The Datcha peninsular is very like Gt Barrier Island and the Marlborough Sounds; it was quiet and peaceful with no restaurants and small beaches. Wednesday we motored across to the southern side of the peninsular and stern lined ashore in Dirsek. This was an interesting deep bay, almost fully enclosed, with all boats and gullets stern lined around the edges, there is a restaurant ashore, where we had dinner. The following morning, after going ashore to buy Turkish village bread, fresh from the stone oven, we motored around to Bozuk Buku for the night.
Friday we went to Serce Limani for morning tea. This is a fully enclosed bay and we were checking it out as a possible stop next season. The bay is narrow but would afford good all round shelter, with a stern line ashore. Next stop was Gerbekse Cove, a lovely inlet with Byzantine ruins at the head of the bay. It is also a place for day tripper boats, but once they go it is very peaceful. We stern lined, enjoyed swims and a walk to the ruins. Just before dusk, as the breeze had increased, all the other boats in the bay dropped their stern lines and moved out or around to Ciftlik Adasi just three quarters of a mile away. Saturday morning on our way out, we motored between the island and Ciftlik Adasi to see what it was like. The anchorage is busy with many houses, hotels and restaurants, the boats were again stern lined to a wharf, not as peaceful as Gerbekse. We continued on and motored into Marmaris town anchorage in time to go ashore to The Anfield Bar to watch Liverpool’s game.
We spent the next week getting jobs done on the Dol in preparation for putting her on the hard for the European winter whilst we fly home. All cupboards were emptied and cleaned, it’s amazing how much stuff you collect without realizing it, several bags of rubbish found its way to the bin, Brian met with the engineers who will be doing the major servicing, water maker was pickled, we had some upholstery repaired and a new shade cover made and generally checked and sorted the Dol.
Saturday 20th, nice surprise in the afternoon as Paul and Gloria, Scallywag and Barb and Frank, Destiny, arrived in the anchorage. It was a great night ashore catching up with what everyone had done during the season. Sunday we moved down to the anchorage outside Yacht Marine in preparation for haul out.
Monday morning, 22nd September, we motored into Yacht Marine travel lift; the boat was lifted out of the water at 09:00 and taken to the allotted place for winter storage. We completed the last of the jobs on our to-do list, packed our bags and generally got Dol and ourselves ready for the longest period of time we have been away from her since we left NZ in 2010.
We fly out to the UK on Thursday for Gail’s parent’s 60th wedding anniversary, then onto NZ for the summer. Whilst home we aim to catch up with family and friends, celebrate our granddaughter Isla’s first birthday, enjoy the Waiheke Walking Festival and walk the Milford Track, among other things.
We have really enjoyed our first season in Turkey and Greece, the people, food, new friends, old friends and places have been wonderful. Looking forward to returning next season to continue our adventures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dol'Selene
Vessel Make/Model: Warwick 47 cutter, built in three skins of New Zealand heart kauri timber, glassed over.
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Brian & Gail Jolliffe
About: Brian and Gail have retired, at least for now, to enjoy the opportunity to cruise further afield than has been possible in recent years.
Extra:
Current cruising plans are not too well advanced but we are inspired by Mark Twain’s quote “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your [...]