Sailing Double Diamond

25 November 2014 | Coffs Harbor
18 November 2014 | Coffs Harbor, Australia
02 November 2014 | Ill des Pins
01 November 2014
17 October 2014
14 October 2014 | Port Vila
06 October 2014 | Saweni Bay
01 September 2014 | Kirkland, Washington
04 June 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
22 May 2014 | 21 10'S:178 19'E,
20 May 2014 | 25 46'S:176 52'E,
19 May 2014 | 30 57'S:176 16'E,
15 May 2014 | Auckland, New Zealand
17 April 2014 | Kirkland
12 April 2014 | Kirkland
04 April 2014 | Gulf Harbour Marina, New Zealand
27 March 2014 | Auckland, New Zealand
13 March 2014 | Auckland, New Zealand
22 December 2013
02 November 2013 | Opua, New Zealand

Baja Ha Ha

06 November 2011 | Cabo San Lucas
Jeff
It's really difficult to know where to start with this blog entry. We are now in Cabo San Lucas and 2 weeks have passed since leaving San Diego aboard Double Diamond. The sheer volume of events that have taken place in that time is hard to process, let alone write down and share in a blog.

Perhaps an apology for not posting any updates during the passage should be the first order of business. Why is a two-part story really, the first part involving technical problems. For the past 2 weeks we have been completely without cell phone service or internet access. Technologically speaking, it is very possible to update our sailblog without an internet connection. It involves the use of our Irridium satphone and some windows-based software. Unfortunately, that software is not-progressed-past-win-95 windows-based software. I guess my easy life of iPhones and iPads have cost me my touch for tweaking junky, clunky old-school software.

I should have attempted a connection to the sailblogs website with the satphone and associated software prior to leaving San Diego when we still had an internet connection and cell service that would allow me to trouble shoot whatever came up. Hopefully I can now have a good long session with tech support while here in Cabo and make this stuff work as the voyage goes forward.

The other part of the sailblog update equation is allocating time to the task. I plead sailing, doing boat maintenance, fishing, swimming, wandering rural Mexican villages, attending Baja Ha Ha festivities and drinking Margarita's in local establishments with really scary bathrooms. These things all take time away from working on blog updates.

The first and longest leg of the trip south from San Diego was to Bahia Tortuga (Turtle Bay), a sail of about 350 miles or 3 days and 2 nights of round-the-clock sailing. There was very little wind leaving San Diego, so the Grand Poobah (Richard Spindler, who runs the Baja Ha Ha and is also the publisher of the sailing publication Latitude 38) instituted what he called a "rolling start" which meant that all the boats could run their engines without penalty (if they did not to exceed 6 knots of boat speed) until he called it off. We ran all night the first night, all under engine power. This was just fine with us as we were happy to put some distance between us and what turned out to be cold, foggy San Diego. The next morning was bright and sunny and the winds had picked up to about 10 knots. Time to sail!!

One of the rituals of the Ha Ha, is the 7:30 AM roll call, where the Poobah runs down the list of boats over the radio and each boat in turn calls in their position in latitude and longitude. This procedure, while a bit time consuming (it takes a good hour every morning to get through all 150 or so boats) it is also one of the safety reasons for world cruising newbies like us to participate in a rally like the Ha Ha. Everyone is tracked and progress (or lack of it) is noted.

The first order of business is reporting medical emergencies and then reporting serious mechanical issues that might prevent a boats progress down the coast. Nothing medical was ever called in by anyone, but several boats had to stop for repairs or leave our anchorages a day or two late, often with the help of other boats who might have parts or expertise in whatever system was broken. We never had a single issue aboard Double Diamond, with all systems working perfectly and nothing breaking along the way - which was a great relief given the number of things that broke on the way down from Seattle. But it was reassuring to know that if we had problems, someone was around to help.

The morning roll call was also a way for everyone to find out a little bit about each other as the Poobah, colorful and entertaining guy that he is, would ask questions of each boat when they responded with their position, drawing us out over the radio for all to hear. With questions like, "So are you missing the Seattle weather?" "Brought any fish onboard?" or for me one morning "So skipper, give us a review of the Lagoon 440". The process all took time, but was quite interesting, as we all huddled around the radio in the morning to listen in.

Right before roll call on the first morning, the Poobah called off the rolling start and most boats began sailing in earnest. We sailed all day and then again all night, reaching Turtle Bay mid-day of day three. The sailing was all downwind with reasonable wind speeds of 10-15 knots. We ran the spinnaker round-the-clock, flying it for almost 50 hours straight, a personal best for us and Double Diamond.

With each anchorage, first with Turtle Bay and then with Bahia Santa Maria, we began peeling back the layers of being in Mexico both figuratively and literally. It's not like we crossed some line and suddenly it was hot outside with warm water. At Turtle Bay the first thing we did was go swimming, but wet suits were in order as the water was only 68 degrees (compared to Cabo's 82 degrees, yet another 400 miles south). Night time on the water still required fleece to be warm.

It was at the next anchorage, Bahia Santa Maria, where things began to really change. The water was 74 degrees. We no longer slept with a comforter and going ashore wearing anything more than shorts and T-shirts was not comfortable. Bahia Santa Maria is the largest bay I've ever seen, where the distant shore of the bay, a continuous crescent of beach backed by sand dunes from one end to the other, was not totally in view at the other end because of the curve of the earth.

For us, the big event of the second leg was seeing a blue whale. It came up alongside us and announced its presence with a loud blow as it breached, startling us all. It swam alongside us for a good half hour - and I mean right alongside us, not some-distance-away-alongside-us, first going behind the boat and then coming up along the other side, then tailing us again. It was actually quite frightening at first because of its immense size, being almost twice the length of our 44' boat. A collision with it could have done real damage, perhaps even sunk us, but after a while it became pretty clear that the whale knew we were there and was maneuvering around us. Eventually it fell back behind the boat for a third time, dove and just disappeared, to where we could not tell.

While moored back in San Diego, an elderly man living aboard next to us with his wife, asked if we intended to fish while traveling south. Yes! He looked over our poles and reels and pronounced them unfit for tropical trolling and directed us to the local gear store called Squidco whose staff he trusted for advice. We rode our bikes over to where our iPhone directed us and tucked in between a nude bar and an adult bookstore was the window-less establishment of Squidco. $500 dollars later we left with a honkin' thick pole, heavy duty Penn reel filled with 100 lb test and a bevy of cedar plugs and Mexican flags (a type of lure). I mention all this because my first reaction upon seeing the whale was to frantically reel in the lure we were dragging, as the last thing I wanted to do was hook into that thing. Although that certainly might have earned us some oohs and aahhs had I announced to the Ha Ha fleet over the radio that we caught and released a 50 ton whale, the potential for carnage was not worth it. More likely, it would have caught and released us.

We actually did catch fish, though. Our first haul was a decent sized Mahi-Mahi that we landed, bludgeoned to death and then promptly, somehow, let slip over the side of the boat and back into the ocean. Man... were we crest fallen when that happened. We had fish blood absolutely everywhere, but no meal to show for it. The following day, we hooked into a small tuna, which we were determined not to lose. Melody grilled it up, using it to top off plates of Arugula salad for lunch. Yum. We were now real fisher-people. Although several boats caught immense amounts of fish, even bringing in squid and sword fish, we only caught one other the rest of the trip. It was a good sized Dorado that made up into 4 big filets and fed us that night for dinner. We have plans to buy more lures and gear, as trolling from the back of a sailboat boat really does work in the tropics. Dare I say we're hooked?

On the third and final leg, from Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo, the layers really began to come off. Now we could sail at night in shorts and T-shirts. With the water approaching 80 degrees, the evening air was cooler than the water. We've had groups of dolphins swim with the boat on numerous occasions, but now they were with us late at night, swimming alongside us in streaks of phosphorescent light. Huge glowing, sparkling fish, swimming alongside us, under us and in front of us like live lit torpedoes. It's difficult to describe how beautiful the effect of this is and occurring at night, moving at 7 or 8 knots through the water, it's impossible to photograph or video. It all seemed more like a visual effect from a sci-fi movie like Avatar. Glowing, streaking packs of dolphins at night in crystal clear water can only be described as off-planet and other-worldly. And to be hanging off the front of a moving catamaran at 1:00 AM in nothing but a pair of shorts, talking with the dolphins (we swear they hear us - and that they respond) is rather surreal, especially for a cold weather sailor from the Pacific Northwest.

We've now spent 3 nights in Cabo and closing ceremonies of the Ha Ha took place last night. In our division (Multihulls, or the Margarita Division as they called us), we placed second in time and speed, although in humorous tongue-in-cheek, Ha Ha tradition, there were 3 boats ahead of us tied for first.

Cabo, of course, is completely unlike the other 2 places we stopped. This is Vegas Mexico, complete with Discos and large hotels. The main beach, off which we are anchored, is wall-to-wall hotels and condos, looking more like a scene from the French Rivera instead of Mexico. It has its charms though. We swam from the boat to the beach yesterday afternoon for an early evening cocktail at the resort in front of us. Then we swam back to the boat. Pretty fun. It was also fun to hear the couple at the table next to us talk about how if they had that catamaran out there, they would be tempted to swim into the bar for a drink. We never said a word.

With the Baja Ha Ha officially over, we are now on our own, although we now know lots of boats and their owners that are heading our direction for La Paz and the sea of Cortez, just as we had hoped would be the case. Boats are pulling up anchor this morning and moving on. I'm sure we will run across many of them as we move on from Cabo ourselves. Cassandra and Keith go home tomorrow and we will miss them dearly as they have been great, great crew. At that point, we will truly be on our own and sailing on alone. The big push to get south is now over and the warm water wandering begins on Tuesday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Double Diamond
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Anacortes, Washington, USA
Crew: Jeff & Melody Christensen
About:
Although we have moored Double Diamond at Skyline Marina in Anacortes, we call Kirkland, Washington home. In mid-September 2011 we set sail from Anacortes for San Francisco, The Channel Islands, San Diego and the Sea of Cortez in Mexico as participants in Baja Ha Ha XVIII. [...]
Social:
Double Diamond's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 25 November 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 October 2014
Photo details of our Lagoon 440
53 Photos
Created 14 June 2014
Bula from the Hidden Paradise
77 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
Photos and friends and family from the place we call home.
33 Photos
Created 12 April 2014
76 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
25 Photos
Created 2 October 2013
Pago Pago is a real place and it's not in Bloom County. Duke is not the Governor nor is Zonker the Lt. Governor.
58 Photos
Created 22 September 2013
Ten days at the most fabulous summer camp ever
60 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
A brief trip home from Tahiti in June 2012
17 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Ra'iatea, Taha'a, and Bora Bora
104 Photos
Created 20 June 2013
Kauehi, Fakarava, Toau, Apataki
61 Photos
Created 20 June 2013
Epic Surf Day, Sunday, June 2nd 2013
16 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
Five Days at Baie d' Hakahau
52 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
Puerto Vallarta to Hiva Oa
50 Photos
Created 2 May 2013
The "Big Island" of The Marquesas
81 Photos
Created 2 May 2013
OMG! visual overload of beauty
25 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
Hiva Oa's shy little sister
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
Landfall - 15th of April - Wahoo!
20 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
Our last month in Puerto Vallarta before leaving for French Polynesia.
25 Photos
Created 28 March 2013
Overnight inland trip with Philo
33 Photos
Created 15 January 2013
December '12
42 Photos
Created 26 December 2012
See'in the Sea in November
35 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
3 Photos
Created 2 December 2012
Daytrip with the crews from SV Realtime and SV Ventured
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
Favorite photos from a busy and active but boat-less summer
39 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
April and May see'in the Sea
82 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
Who is Pedro Infante?
28 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Kind of like a Hitchcock movie set
20 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
Winter's summer in Banderas Bay 2011-12
36 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
Travels from Banderas Bay to Manzanillo
14 Photos
Created 10 February 2012
Home for the holidays! Where ever that may be?
12 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
10 Photos
Created 21 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 21 December 2011
21 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
51 Photos
Created 2 December 2011
129 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
3 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
11 Photos
Created 12 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 12 October 2011
5 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 2 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2011
29 Photos
Created 24 September 2011