Sailing Somewhere Until We Get There

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA
11 January 2014 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
10 January 2014 | Port Louis Marina, Grenada
03 May 2013 | Hillsborough, Carriacou, Grenada
02 April 2013 | Martinique
27 March 2013 | Dominica
22 March 2013 | Marie Galant, Guadeloupe
20 March 2013 | Isle de Saints, Guadeloupe
17 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
16 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
14 March 2013 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
01 March 2013 | St Barths
27 February 2013 | Saint Martin
02 February 2013 | Fajardo, PR
08 January 2013 | Virgin Gorda, BVI's
25 November 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda, BVI
21 November 2012 | North Sound, Virgin Gorda, BVI
11 November 2012
11 November 2012 | Just East of the Gulf Stream
08 November 2012 | Hampton Public Piers, Hampton, VA
07 October 2012 | Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

Rasta Land

27 March 2013 | Dominica
Cary
Our favorite stop thus far is Dominica known as the "isle of beauty, isle of splendor." Dominica is, as we had hoped all of the Caribbean would be, not as touristy, quite untouched and natural with 75% of the island a heavily wooded rainforest and more than a quarter of the island protected by law. The terrain is lush with a range of mountains reaching nearly 5,000 ft. north and south along the spine of the island, and home to 8 potentially active volcanos. There are 365 rivers on the island that have created a magnificent tropical rainforest that is spectacular. We hiked to two waterfalls - Victoria and Sari Sari with a stop for lunch at a Rastaurant which served the most delicious vegetarian stew/soup with all ingredients grown on the farm where the extended Rastafarian family lives. They actually own the entire valley. We ate out of gourd bowls and used coconut spoons.

The hikes were intense with boulder hopping, wading across a river 5 times in thigh deep water to reach Victoria, the highest falls in Dominica, plus muddy, slippery trails to Sari Sari with the most beautiful pools and falls. Magnificient!





We were a little slow on the get up the next morning but went snorkeling to work out the stiffness to Champagne beach where warm bubbles ascend from thermal pools. We could actually catch the bubbles. There is an eerie sound as the steam bubbles are released.
Dominica is quite unique in many ways but the "boat boys" really men provide a huge service. One boat boy meets each boat as they arrive and guide the boat to the mooring ball. That particular boat boy then becomes your personal procurement officer - tours, laundry, car rental, back and forth to customs and so friendly. Our boat boy was Lawrence of Arabia who has been doing this for 15 years.


On Sunday nights they put on a BBQ with all the rum punch one can drink, music and dancing. Great party other than too much rum punch. Cruisers! All you can drink! What can anyone expect other than lots of hangovers in the anchorage the next morning. Met people from Chez Republic, Switzerland, England, Australia, and Israel.
All the people we've encountered in Dominica has been warm and welcoming. Maybe the Rastas have in figured out. Moses who ran the restaurant was the most laid back person we've met. See pics of him and his three gorgeous children.


Comments
Vessel Name: Dragon's Toy
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet IP-37
Hailing Port: Freeport CA
Crew: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA