Sailing Somewhere Until We Get There

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA
11 January 2014 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
10 January 2014 | Port Louis Marina, Grenada
03 May 2013 | Hillsborough, Carriacou, Grenada
02 April 2013 | Martinique
27 March 2013 | Dominica
22 March 2013 | Marie Galant, Guadeloupe
20 March 2013 | Isle de Saints, Guadeloupe
17 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
16 March 2013 | Des Haies, Guadeloupe
14 March 2013 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
01 March 2013 | St Barths
27 February 2013 | Saint Martin
02 February 2013 | Fajardo, PR
08 January 2013 | Virgin Gorda, BVI's
25 November 2012 | Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda, BVI
21 November 2012 | North Sound, Virgin Gorda, BVI
11 November 2012
11 November 2012 | Just East of the Gulf Stream
08 November 2012 | Hampton Public Piers, Hampton, VA
07 October 2012 | Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

Return to Grenada

10 January 2014 | Port Louis Marina, Grenada
Cary
We arrived in Grenada on December 12, we found Dragon's Toy safely on the hard (up on stilts out of the water) as we left her. We rented an apartment adjacent to the Spice Island boat yard and spent the week cleaning, repairing and getting the boat in shape to be splashed (back in the water). Not being used to the humidity and time change we were pretty wiped out by the end of each day.


Getting Dragon's Toy back in the water, after six months on the hard, brought smiles to our faces. Getting the sails on and the dinghy motor repaired and, oh, yes, the bulk order of wine delivered, we headed out to anchor in Prickly Bay which can be rolly. Forced us to get our sea legs back quickly.


For a little diversion we attended the Grenada Botanical Garden Christmas program with a variety of musicians on a large stage with even larger speakers. The only really good thing that can be said about the event is that Tom won the raffle and, low and behold, our Christmas wishes were answered. He won a clothing iron. Now we have a new anchor.


Christmas in the islands is a different kind of celebration. Lobster, fresh caught that morning, BBQ on the beach with about 20 others followed by a leisurely swim was a very relaxing way to enjoy the day. One of the marinas then provided a dinner with turkey, ham, and dressing with all sides and desserts brought by cruisers. What a feast. Couldn't miss a Boxing Day celebration with more food and great music.




Our decision to stay in Grenada longer than intended was made for several reasons: no weather window to go north, getting the teak work done in a marina that was half price because we had been in Spice Island, all the fun holiday activities, and the friendly Grenadian people on the lovely island. Ashley, a local teak master, has been working on the boat non stop, other than rain delays, for a week.


We are especially glad we are in the Port Louie marina as a huge storm blew in on Christmas. This storm was unlike anything the locals had ever seen. Thunder and two straight hours of lightening that lit up the sky like a strobe light plus torrential rains. Other islands north of us sustained some sever damage and there were some deaths from the flooding. But all is back to normal in Grenada. Teak should be done in a week and we'll be on our way north.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dragon's Toy
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet IP-37
Hailing Port: Freeport CA
Crew: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs

Dragon Adventures

Who: Cary Purvis & Tom Kohrs
Port: Freeport CA