Cruising with Kids: S/V Dream Catcher

We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean.

10 July 2007 | Provincetown, MA
29 June 2007 | Cape May, NJ
18 June 2007 | Washington DC
04 June 2007 | Beaufort, NC
22 May 2007 | Green Turtle
20 May 2007 | Green Turtle
19 May 2007 | Guana Cay
12 May 2007 | Hope town Abacos
03 May 2007 | Eluthera Island
23 April 2007 | Fernandez Bay, Cat Island
14 April 2007 | Dover New Hampshire
02 April 2007 | Georgetown
21 March 2007 | Turks & Caicos
17 March 2007 | Mayaguana
10 March 2007 | Georgetown, Bahamas
01 March 2007 | Jamentos
27 February 2007 | Thompson Bay, LI
15 February 2007 | Georgetown
07 February 2007 | Georgetown
25 January 2007 | Conception, Exumas

Where to next???

10 March 2007 | Georgetown, Bahamas
Dave
Wow, I can't believe it is the 10th of March, where has the winter gone. We have been back in Georgetown for about a week after our wonderful trip to the Jumentos. We wanted to get back for Regatta week which is the pinnacle of the cruising season. Regatta week is a 10 day event with games and competitions everyday. There is even a kid's day which the kids enjoyed very much. They competed in homemade sailboat races, scavenger hunts and obstical courses to name a few. Lisa couldn't help herself and volunteered to help the commitee chair with the event and had a great day. There were over 70 kids that participated in the day. On another day, we all entered different rowing races in either kayaks, small row boats and sailing dingies. We all had a ball and a couple ribbons were won, DJ and Nicole competed in the double kayaking race and came in first! DJ placed second in the singles rowing and Nicole and her friend Sabrina got the most injured award when they were both clubbed in the back of the head by a flying oar during the blind rowing competion. They were both fine after a couple minutes. DJ and Lisa entered the blind rowing race. Lisa was blindfolded while DJ gave directions. What a hoot. DJ's attention was easily diverted, leaving Lisa rowing in circles. They came in last place. Lisa and Nicole along with some other friends competed in the sand castle competion and took 3rd. Yesterday, we entered Dream Catcher in the race around the island. The winds were forcasted to be about 10 knots but turned out to be more like 20. There were about 40 boats entered in the race. They were broken down into different catagories. We were entered in the Multihull race and placed 3rd which we were very excited to win. It was a very stressful (Lisa says invigorating) event and we were doing everything possible to trim the sails just right. Lisa did a great job skippering the boat while James from Seista and myself trimmed the sails. Now we have five new burgees to add to our boat. We never knew what all of those flags were on other boats. Now we know.

With time winding down in Georgetown, we started thinking about were we would go next? Lisa really had her heart set on going to the Domincan Republic with our friends on Side by Side. After checking with our Insurance company to see if the could extend our coverage to the DR (we are only covered to the Turks and Caicos) we did not expect the answer we got nor did our broker. It turns out a boat was recently lost to a reef in the Luperon area which is where we could clear customs in the DR and they are not extending any coverage into that area. So at the moment, we are trying to decide our next route. We know we want to be in the Abacos for April and May. So stay tuned, we will update you all once we have a plan.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Make/Model: Voyage Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Dover Point, NH
Crew: The Daniels
About: Dave , Lisa, DJ (13). Nicole (11)
Extra:
We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreamcatcher/

Our Profile

Who: The Daniels
Port: Dover Point, NH