Cruising with Kids: S/V Dream Catcher

We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean.

10 July 2007 | Provincetown, MA
29 June 2007 | Cape May, NJ
18 June 2007 | Washington DC
04 June 2007 | Beaufort, NC
22 May 2007 | Green Turtle
20 May 2007 | Green Turtle
19 May 2007 | Guana Cay
12 May 2007 | Hope town Abacos
03 May 2007 | Eluthera Island
23 April 2007 | Fernandez Bay, Cat Island
14 April 2007 | Dover New Hampshire
02 April 2007 | Georgetown
21 March 2007 | Turks & Caicos
17 March 2007 | Mayaguana
10 March 2007 | Georgetown, Bahamas
01 March 2007 | Jamentos
27 February 2007 | Thompson Bay, LI
15 February 2007 | Georgetown
07 February 2007 | Georgetown
25 January 2007 | Conception, Exumas

Out of the Bahamas

21 March 2007 | Turks & Caicos
Lisa
This is a picture of all 16 of us hitchhiking and trying to fit into a truck. Somehow we did it.

We arrived in Turks & Caicos on the 17th after spending six days in Mayaguana. It was a beautiful sail down with winds varying between 10 -16 knots. This was a welcomed surprise after our very wild ride down from Georgtown to Mayaguana last week. We are anchored in Sapodilla Bay. This is a great anchorage with protection from the trade winds. We rented a car for $62 and visited Providenciales (Provo). The car was was a Geo Tracker, it was falling apart. The soft top was caving in and it began to rain....inside the car. It sounded as though it was going to quit right there on the road. It was actually quite funny. We made the best of it and really enjoyed being in a car since it has been months. Dave had a real challenge driving on the left side of the road. He did a great job. The only problems he experienced were the speed and lining up on the wrong side of parking lot exits. Yes, I said Dave had a hard time with the speed. He was going 30 MPH and he felt like Mario Andretti. The speed limit was 40 and he had a hard time driving that fast. I guess that when you spend 8 months going 8 knots, 30 MPH feels incredibly fast. Your brain has a hard time taking in all of the information at that speed. After 24 hours, Dave was able to maintain the speed limit, although he continued to exit the parking lots on the right side (wrong side). We visited a conch farm and enjoyed a very informative tour. Unfortunately, humans are depleting this resource. The conch farm growns conch for eating as well as putting some back in the ocean. The northern side of the island is seeing a lot of development. Many people from Haiti and the Dominican have been imported to work on these resorts. Turks and Caicos is a very expensive island. A large bag of shredded mozzarella cheese is $29 and a steak is $30. We plan on staying here for another week or so. Then we will begin our journey home. We expect to be in the Abacos in April / May. I am still very bummed that we were so close to Cuba and the Dominican Republic, and we couldn't go. Next time!


Happy Birthday: Alex, Matt, Carissa,
Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Make/Model: Voyage Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Dover Point, NH
Crew: The Daniels
About: Dave , Lisa, DJ (13). Nicole (11)
Extra:
We've sold the house, bought the boat and will homeschool our children for the next year or two aboard our 43' Sailing Catamaran. Follow the adventures of the Daniels' family as they cruise the caribbean. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreamcatcher/

Our Profile

Who: The Daniels
Port: Dover Point, NH