DREAMCATCHER - Asian Cruising

25 March 2020 | Thailand
17 March 2018 | Malaysia Thailand
24 March 2017 | Royal Langkawi Yacht Club
24 March 2017 | Kata Beach early 0730, before the onslaught!
21 May 2016
30 March 2016 | Boat Lagoon Marina, Phuket Thailand
13 February 2016 | Boat Lagoon, Phuket, Thailand
03 December 2015
10 June 2015 | Straits Quay Marina, Penang
31 August 2014 | MALAYSIA – PULAU (ISLAND OF) TIOMAN AND REDANG
22 February 2014 | Asia
25 October 2013 | Redang Island
25 October 2013 | Singapore
16 June 2013 | Singapore: Keppel Bay Marina
27 May 2013 | Singapore
07 January 2013 | Rockingham, Western Australia
27 November 2012 | Malacca Straits, November 2012
25 October 2012 | Phuket, Thailand
17 September 2012 | Malaysia - East Coast
29 May 2012 | The Malacca Straits

Chased off the Beach!

29 March 2012 | Diglipur (North Andaman Island)
Feb 26-27, 2012
Diglipur/Port Cornwallis
An early start set us on yet another 20 mile passage due north to Diglipur. Through all these short passages, one is required to report the boat's and other details by HF radio at 0800 and 1700. The rationale for this is a mix between a 19th century commitment to bureaucracy and a need from a defence standpoint, as the Andaman function is primarily that. I'm sure we gave them heartburn as they were trying to track down these four itinerant sailboats. Unfortunately, it was another upwind slog on the nose, and as we wanted to be there mid-afternoon to ensure a planned rendezvous with Rusalka and Smystery, we ended up bashing to windward much of the way. Unfortunately we had backed over the dinghy painter while anchoring Dreamcatcher and succeeded in putting 4 wraps around the prop shaft (groan). Both Henry and I tried to free it by taking turns in the water with snorkels, after being told this was a "no crocodile" environment by the port captain. Kevan afterwards slashed the line off with a breadknife, only to be told later that a large croc had in fact been sighted at the wharf a few weeks prior (Yikes!). We had lovely re-union drinks aboard Dreamcatcher, swapped stories of where they'd been and what we'd done for the prior 4 days, and then headed off to dinner at the only restaurant in Diglipur, about 8 km from the anchorage. These Andaman drivers only have one speed: flat out, and once again, a hair-raising ride, in more ways than one: the cars here have no windows. We left the anchorage next morning and sought permission to anchor off Ross and Smith islands: pretty islands joined by a sparkling 200 meter wide sand spit. We dropped anchor and went ashore in Rascal's dinghy to clean the Maya Bandar rust footprints off, and to enjoy a swim. More Indian bureaucracy - we weren't allowed to land or swim there unless we had (yet another) permit and 500 rupees ($15) per person. This piece of delightful real estate - about 200 x 30 meters - had no less than 3 Indian officials: they (and Gavin) spent a lot of time on the phone reporting us and seeking to allow us to stay there for a few hours. Permission denied, so we begrudgingly re-boarded the dinghy and returned to the boats, albeit lingering on the way to admire the sea turtles and manta rays swimming in the shallow water. Tourism in the Andamans is definitely NOT top of mind! We remained at anchor is this pretty spot overnight and turned south-bound.
An interesting factoid discovered by Rusalka (during afternoon tea with the Police at Landfall Island, where they had never ever seen a sailboat..) ...was that the Coco Islands that geophysically appear as part of the Andamans, are in fact Burmese, but the Burma junta has leased them both to China. So, China has a defence holding in the Indian Ocean: you bet the Indians are happy about that NOT)!
PIC: GT whistfully looking at the beach we weren't allowed to land on
Comments
Vessel Name: DREAMCATCHER
Vessel Make/Model: CAL 3-46 Ketch
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Henry Mellegers & Glenys Taylor
About: A collective sailing experience of over 100 years across the USA, Australia, South Pacific and now SE Asia....we love cruising in Asia............
Extra:
After sailing Dreamcatcher from San Francisco, through Mexico and across the South Pacific to Australia, and then to Singapore for 8 years, we will base her in Malaysia and Thailand to cruise the Malacca Straits and Andaman Sea. In April 2015, we moved the boat from Singapore to Penang to have [...]
Home Page: www.dreamcatchervoyage.com
DREAMCATCHER's Photos - Main
THAILAND & MALAYSIA
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2017
No Photos
Created 25 March 2017