DREAMCATCHER - Asian Cruising

25 March 2020 | Thailand
17 March 2018 | Malaysia Thailand
24 March 2017 | Royal Langkawi Yacht Club
24 March 2017 | Kata Beach early 0730, before the onslaught!
21 May 2016
30 March 2016 | Boat Lagoon Marina, Phuket Thailand
13 February 2016 | Boat Lagoon, Phuket, Thailand
03 December 2015
10 June 2015 | Straits Quay Marina, Penang
31 August 2014 | MALAYSIA – PULAU (ISLAND OF) TIOMAN AND REDANG
22 February 2014 | Asia
25 October 2013 | Redang Island
25 October 2013 | Singapore
16 June 2013 | Singapore: Keppel Bay Marina
27 May 2013 | Singapore
07 January 2013 | Rockingham, Western Australia
27 November 2012 | Malacca Straits, November 2012
25 October 2012 | Phuket, Thailand
17 September 2012 | Malaysia - East Coast
29 May 2012 | The Malacca Straits

Racing, Racing

22 February 2014 | Asia
We seem to be spending more time aboard OPB's (other people's boats) than our own during the past 6 months. Not that we would ever race our lovely but languid Dreamcatcher.

At Christmas, we did a 50 mile race on FreeLoader from Rockingham to Fremantle and back, with local Perth friends.

In both January and February, we raced on the good ship Rusalka, based in Phuket Thailand. January was our first Langkawi (Malaysia) regatta: 5 days of racing in robust conditions in and around Bass Harbour in lovely Langkawi. We had a few scary moments with the spinnaker but generally didn't break anything or log any injuries. These races saw us back at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club each night, in time to spruce up for the evening's festivities at different locations. Both the starting and finishing party were at the yacht club, and fantastic. Other venues were the Bella Vista hotel and the W Hotel, the latter of which was stunning.... and a chance for the girls to get out of grotty yachtie mode, and dress up a bit. We did well in the regatta, gaining an overall 3rd place.

In February we raced our 7th Phang Nga Bay regatta! With the "usual suspects" though one of our regular crew stepped out due to hip issues and we added a hot shot foredeck man. This regatta is and always will be our favourite! Starting at the north-eastern end of Phuket, it consists of 4 days of racing in a large and scenic route around Phang Nga Bay, down to Phi Phi Island and scenic spots in between. We anchored each night after the race, swam, cocktailed then dinghied or long-tailed across to the shore and partied with other sailors. This regatta is really all about sailing between parties! We did really well, had good winds for the most part (except one 2 hour "hole" when we thought the keel had grown roots into the seabed!) and were delighted to take off 2nd prize overall in the regatta.

These Asian regattas are incredibly fun and well supported. Tiger Beer was gushing every night, along with wine, rum and gin - no-one ever complains of "not enough to drink"!

As usual, the handicap systems were the main discussion point. These two regattas used the Performance Handicap system, where the handicap changes each day depending on your prior day's performance.... so, the better you do, the more time you have to give your competitors in the next race. Not perfect, but it does give all boats a fair go at the trophies, unlike the traditional handicap systems which tend to see the same place-getters up on the podium time after time.

So, we now revert to taking care of our Dreamcatcher, with plans to sail her up to Tioman, Redang and beyond as soon as the monsoon switches over.

The picture is of Rusalka leaving Phi Phi Don: the guy in blue at the mast is Henry....

Comments
Vessel Name: DREAMCATCHER
Vessel Make/Model: CAL 3-46 Ketch
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Henry Mellegers & Glenys Taylor
About: A collective sailing experience of over 100 years across the USA, Australia, South Pacific and now SE Asia....we love cruising in Asia............
Extra:
After sailing Dreamcatcher from San Francisco, through Mexico and across the South Pacific to Australia, and then to Singapore for 8 years, we will base her in Malaysia and Thailand to cruise the Malacca Straits and Andaman Sea. In April 2015, we moved the boat from Singapore to Penang to have [...]
Home Page: www.dreamcatchervoyage.com
DREAMCATCHER's Photos - Main
THAILAND & MALAYSIA
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2017
No Photos
Created 25 March 2017