DHEKELIA SERVICES SAILING CLUB

Dhekelia Station, Cyprus

06 September 2013 | Cyprus.
06 September 2013
06 September 2013 | Email: ms@dhekeliasailing.com
02 September 2013
06 August 2013
06 August 2013
06 August 2013
31 July 2013
01 July 2013 | Steve Kimberley
26 January 2013
30 October 2012 | sailing@dhekeliasailing.com
27 August 2012
27 August 2012
27 August 2012
11 November 2010
21 June 2010
Recent Blog Posts
06 September 2013 | Cyprus.

DSSC

PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE AT www.dhekeliasailing.com

RYA Level Two Dinghy Course - Oct '12

30 October 2012 | sailing@dhekeliasailing.com
Andy Cherry
.
RYA Level Two Dinghy Course

The last two weekends in October were given over to the Royal Yachting Association Level Two Dinghy Course at Dhekelia Sailing Club.

An outstanding success for the 17 students, who all attained their certificates, and were without doubt, totally hooked on the sport of sailing!
The first weekend started with an introduction into sailing with a little bit of theory, (naming parts of sails and equipment) and progressed through the day with lots of hours in the boat with their instructors. The winds were kind throughout the two weekends which enabled the students to gain self-confidence in their boat handling skills.

Steady force three winds and fairly calm seas helped as the students learned how to reach across the bay and to tack their dinghies, in a (mostly) controlled fashion! By the second day, some of the students were sailing solo, with just a little shouted instruction. More theory at the end of the first weekend and a promise to read up on the so important Nautical Terms in the RYA Handbook!

The second weekend dawned with beautiful sunshine and the forecast of even better light winds and smooth seas. A few Man-Overboard drills and coming alongside practices were the order of the day! Bosun Dinghies and Picos spent lots of hours sailing around the Olympic Triangle course culminating in a Mini-Regatta for all students on Sunday morning!

It was fascinating to watch the grit and determination on their faces, as 8 dinghies lined up for the start of the first race! Stelios and Michalis made the best of the start and powered away to lead the fleet around the course in their Bosun Dinghy. Carol and Markellos were a close second, again in a Bosun, but very close behind them were the little Picos of Diana and Kathryn!

The next race got under way with a dying breeze, and this time it was Den and Mike in their Bosun dinghy, who made the running, sailing off to finish first! They were followed by Michalis and Stelios, Frank and Charlie coming in third.

A break for lunch and much conversation about boat tuning and starting strategies ofcourse! The final two races saw some very close racing, and it was the Bosun of Mike and Den who had the best start, allowing them to clinch another first place. Charlie and Frank were a close second and Markellos/Carol finished in third place.

The fourth and final race saw everything to play for and the starting positions were hotly contested! Frank and Charlie seized their advantage off the start line and disappeared into the distance! Carol, with Markellos as crew, was intent on beating partner Den, and succeeded by racing down the final reach to the finish ahead of their Bosun!

It was a fitting finale to all the instructors and their students, with everyone having a great time, sailing on the stunning waters of Larnaca Bay!
Certificates were duly awarded and thanks given to all volunteer members involved.

Andy Cherry, Sailing Secretary
email: sailing@dhekeliasailing.com



Return to Home Page and Site Index

CONTACT US: info@dhekeliasailing.com or go to the Email Directory

About & Links