VOYAGES OF THE DAWN TREADER

A family of five works to resume the cruising life while keeping their sense of humor. This cruise begins with the inaccurately named post "That Was Easy"

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA
18 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
17 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
18 August 2014 | Kirkland, Washington
17 August 2014 | kirkland, WA
26 July 2014 | Prescott Arizona
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
01 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
05 March 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
23 January 2014 | LA PAZ
02 January 2014 | la paz, BCS
26 December 2013 | la PAZ, BCS
21 December 2013 | LA PAZ, BCS

WHALE SHARKS

27 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
SOPHIA
WHALE SHARKS
BY SOPHIA

What's blue, has white spots, is more than 20 feet long and has foot long spines on its back? Whale sharks! I lied about the spines...

Whale sharks definitely look like a cross between a shark and a whale, but they are actually a fish! They spend all of their time eating plankton, literally! I feel sorry for them though, because for the whole day boats are coming in surrounding them, and almost running into them while they try and eat. Their size is intimidating, but they are actually very gentle.

It was super hot that day, so I claimed the front seat in the dinghy, the spot that got splashed the most. When we got about one third the way to where we found them, we spotted some dolphins. The dolphins gradually came closer until they were right next to the boat. At first we thought they could be whale sharks, but then we realized they were just huge dolphins. Cavan tried to get a video, but it didn't turn out very good.

I was pretty freaked out before we got in the water with the sharks, because Mom's description of them didn't sound too inviting. The first sight of one was, well, I'll just say...terrifying. Even with my fins, I felt like I was in one of those dreams where you need to run but can't. He was heading toward me with his huge mouth wide open, and it was so scary I almost screamed in my snorkel.

I wasn't exactly comfortable swimming around, knowing that it was against the law to touch them, because they could just pop up anywhere. But in the end, I was jumping in and swimming along side them. I did get these bad bites though - no, not from the whale sharks, but from some tiny jelly fish that you can barely see. They were like nettle stings, but they stung more and didn't last as long. I got them everywhere, and they ruined the boat ride back.

Swimming with whale sharks was an awesome experience, but surprisingly we did it before we've swum with dolphins. And honestly, I think its sounds way cooler to say that I've gone swimming with sharks than dolphins.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Mayflower 40
Hailing Port: Semiahmoo, WA
Crew: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
About: Carla and Casey sailed 3/4's of the way around the world between 1994-1997 on their first boat Briar Rose, a Cascade 29. They came home to begin having children and finally found something they were good at. Cavan is 15 and his brother Tommy is now 13. Sophia is 10.
Extra:
After 8 or so years back on land, Carla began to petition Casey for another boat. For some reason it took a little work, but he came around in the end. They are now looking to set out to sea again with a crew of five. When we began cruising way back in 1994, we had no computer in the beginning, [...]

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA