Travels of Early Out

17 March 2012 | West Palm Beach, FL
16 March 2012 | Hawksbill Cay
13 March 2012 | Staniel Cay
11 March 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
10 March 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
05 March 2012 | Fernandez Bay, Cat Isand
22 February 2012 | Old Bight, Cat Island
21 February 2012
20 February 2012
17 February 2012
15 February 2012
14 February 2012
13 February 2012 | Current Cut
13 February 2012 | Glass Window, Eleuthera
12 February 2012 | Spanish Wells
11 February 2012 | Spanish Wells
09 February 2012 | Royal Island
08 February 2012 | Lynyard Cay
07 February 2012 | Hope Town, Abacos

Hiding in Cat Island

22 February 2012 | Old Bight, Cat Island
Fred
Old Bight and New Bight are all part of the same huge bay that is open to the West but protected from all other directions. The big weather event was supposed to start in the SE and clock around to the S then W and then quickly go from N to the NE after front passed and then build to 30+ knots.

The plan was to stay in Old Bight, the Southern end of the anchorage, until the wind came around and then move to New Bight in the Northern part of the anchorage. The only risk was the SW, W and NW winds which were forecasted not to be very strong.

The first day in Old Bight was beautiful sunny day with light winds from the East. We were told that there was a laundromat right on the beach just a mile or so from where were anchored. This seemed really strange to us since it is a very undeveloped area with on a few structures along the beach. So we headed over to one of the beatup old building on the beach and sure enough there were washers and dryers inside. Unfortunately, they were very low on water and we had to run a hose from outside through a window to fill the wash machines with water to wash and rinse. With the low presure is took 15-20 minutes to fill and then we ran out of water for the rinse. They had a bucket of water sitting in the room that we ended up using as a last resort to rinse the soap out of the clothes. It's always something.

We later went for dinghy ride in some shallows behind the beach and then a walk along the beach for a some exercise. Another nice day in the Bahamas.

The next day the wind was forecasted to clock around with moderate winds from S, SW, W and then moving quickly to the NW after the front passed. So the plan was to hand tight Old Bight where we had protection from S as long as we could an then move a few mile to New Bight which has protection from the North. It played out pretty much like the forecast and we moved late in the day and had a little bit of bounce in the anchorage but tolerable. The big wind was coming the next day from the NE and forecasted to stay for several days.

The following day we moved about 5 miles to Fernandez Bay where we could get much closed to shore for the big winds and reduce the fetch and associated waves. It was a wet ride but we made it no problem to the picturesque little beach cove with a small resort located there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ealy Out
Vessel Make/Model: Caliber 40LRC
Hailing Port: Cincinnati, Ohio
Crew: Debbie and Fred

Early Out

Who: Debbie and Fred
Port: Cincinnati, Ohio