sailing vessel Sänna

Blogs from our sailing vessel Sänna. Eastwards from England to New Zealand... & sailing circumnavigation.

09 May 2023 | Willemstad, Curaçao - Dutch Caribbean.
12 June 2022 | Sherwood, Nottingham
30 March 2022 | Cartagena, Colombia
03 March 2022 | Shelter Bay, Panama
14 December 2021 | Shelter Bay - Caribbean Panama
20 November 2021 | Vista Mar, San Carlos, Panama
11 September 2021 | Nottingham, England
11 August 2021 | No Location
25 June 2021 | England
30 April 2021 | Lockdown in England
14 April 2021 | Lockdown - Nottingham, England
31 March 2021 | Winterton-on-Sea, Norfolk, England
09 March 2021 | Vista Mar, Panama
17 February 2021 | Sherwood, Nottingham, England
07 February 2021 | Sherwood, England
28 January 2021 | In national lockdown, Nottingham, England
28 December 2020 | Nottingham, England
20 October 2020 | Vista Mar, Panama
23 April 2020 | Vista Mar, Panama

The Alpha Australian Male

20 September 2011 | Mackay, Queensland.
Dave
Photo: Boxing Kangaroos...

This big island continent on the southern side of the dotted line is a fascinating country. It's taken more than five years to sail here aboard Sänna and, truth be told, we've heard varying reports from other sailing boat crews we have come across who had already docked in Australia and left. The country itself is stunningly beautiful in its desolate and rugged way and the frontier mentality of the people who live on the edge of the infamous outback is both refreshing and breathtaking. And then there is the diversity of animal life not seen anywhere else on earth, a good deal of which would readily kill you for no other apparent reason than they do not wish you around. But there is one strange creature we've increasingly encountered as we've made our way southwards along the Queensland coast and, surprisingly, in increasing numbers. For reference purposes we ourselves use the term 'AAM' and we breath this in hushed whispers so that we do not alarm or provoke what we've identified as a volatile and unpredictable beast. Its lifestyle and habits are fascinating and we have taken to studying it in great detail so that we can try to understand and learn if it's possible to communicate with the great Alpha Australian Male....

And we're making good progress. So far we've established that the 'AAM' is predominantly found in the eastern and southern side of the continent, particularly around built up and urban areas close to the shoreline. Clearly there is a marine connection and greater numbers are undoubtedly concentrated within marinas, harbours and some mainland and island anchorages that do not pose undue dangers to its existence. But the 'AAM' is deceptive as there is a definite sub species that is far more adventurous and shows distinctive 'hunter gatherer' tendencies that could clearly define it as a possible species in its own right. However, we ourselves are primarily concerned with the main branch of the Alpha Australian Male that shows much less spirited tendencies and any sub species are better left to the studies of more experienced experts than ourselves. Right now, we've definitely established a number of key characteristics that identify the type of 'AAM' that we are ourselves concerned with....

Research shows that some form of transformation takes place in the primary male grouping of the Standard Australian Male (SAM). This possibly occurs around the age of 35 to 40 years but more research is needed. We've also identified signs of an extreme competitive nature within the Alpha Australian Male which readily extends to aggression and, in some instances, clear signs of a developed killer instinct. These more extreme characteristics seem to occur when the 'AAM' comes into contact with Alpha Males of other species, more notably a northern hemisphere type commonly known as the POM. Undoubtedly, the POM is speedily recognised as a dangerous competitor to the Alpha Australian Male which must be challenged at all cost. The stakes appear to be high and no quarter is given. The ensuing verbal calling of the 'AAM' when contact is made is relentless, sustained and aggressive. More research is needed. But distinct signs of challenge occur when the POM is in close proximity, particularly when the POM calls its own territorial warning of "Good Morning", "Lovely Morning" or even "Do you cruise that plastic duck far?" which seems to illicit more extreme reactions from the Alpha Australian Male. So far we ourselves have made a number of contacts and we are gaining experience. Our first reactions were nervous and tentative when faced with clear signs of territorial protection. We also noted strange muscular twitches when we mention how far we have sailed. We think maybe there could be a softer, friendlier underbelly but, again, more research is needed...

Marie and I have decided that we must gather much more information before we depart the Australian shoreline in November for New Zealand. We will share our findings through our blog site and invite our readers for their own comments. We are both fair minded individuals and do not wish to prejudice our public into thinking our own way. As experienced marine researchers we'd much rather present our findings in an unbiased manner for you to decide. If you do have any comments then please share them. We will accept both negative and positive views in the interest of balanced research. In the meantime we ourselves will post examples of contact with the Alpha Australian Male through the Sänna blog site so that you can be the ultimate decision maker...
________________________________________________________________________________
Please visit our SV Sänna website for more details of our circumnavigation voyage from the UK. Also at www.facebook.com/SV.Sanna. Like our Facebook page if you'd like to receive more news about our sail adventure. You can contact us here.
Vessel Name: Sänna
Vessel Make/Model: Ocean 50 (Bavaria)
Hailing Port: Poole UK
Crew: Dave & Marie Ungless
About:
We have sailed together for over ten years now, leaving the Mediterranean to head eastwards. Our destination was Australia and New Zealand which we achieved in 2012 before attempting a full round-the-world circumnavigation across the pacific and back to the UK. [...]
Extra: Sänna is a hybrid Bavaria Ocean 50, custom built for bue water ocean cruising. The build and re-fit specification is high and to date boasts over 56,000 miles of ocean cruising. For more information visit our main website at www.sanna-uk.com.
Home Page: http://www.sanna-uk.com
Social:
Sänna's Photos - Main
56 Photos
Created 24 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 23 May 2020
24 Photos
Created 8 December 2014
12 Photos
Created 1 September 2014
42 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
8 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
51 Photos
Created 18 March 2012
22 Photos
Created 6 December 2010
16 Photos
Created 6 December 2010
28 Photos
Created 6 December 2010
5 Photos
Created 9 November 2009
22 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
10 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
1 Photo
Created 8 November 2009
9 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
1 Photo
Created 8 November 2009
1 Photo
Created 8 November 2009
1 Photo
Created 8 November 2009
1 Photo
Created 8 November 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
9 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
12 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
Starting out
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2009
11 Photos
Created 8 November 2009
www.sanna-uk.com