Bookmark and Share
A family travels from Florida to New Zealand aboard their St Francis 50 catamaran
Stuck in the Lake
05/05/2011, Lake Gatun, Panama

Had a smooth transit through the Gatun locks last night and were attached to the buoy with two other boats by 9pm. One advisor showed up at 6am and another at 7am for the other two boats. But ours has called in sick. So we wait...maybe until tomorrow.

05/05/2011 | Tracy Frantz
We are friends of Dean and are watching your progress! Good luck to you. I laughed at Dean's email about the box lunch - with my cooking, the line handlers would definitely be calling! Fair winds!
05/03/2011, Colon, Panama

So yesterday several boats left and completed the first section to the lake where you tie up to a buoy for the night and await your next advisor who comes aboard at 6:30am for the next day's transit though the Miraflores locks. Only problem not enough advisors showed up for work so two boats were left at the buoy to spend another night. And to avoid a logjam at the buoy they have held us back so now we will go Wednesday. Another day in aptly named Colon. Forgot to mention yesterday that you can right click on the Pancanal webcam image to zoom in.

Ready to Transit
05/02/2011, Colon, Panama

Well it was disappointing to hear that we had to wait 17 days to pass the canal but they have put on more transit advisors and our date has been bumped up several times now. First it was to be the 10th, then to the 6th, and this morning they told us the 3rd which is tomorrow. So it will have been an 8 day wait, not bad. So if all goes well we can be seen at around midday Wednesday. Or maybe this link

04/25/2011, Panama

Arrived in Panama this morning at 7;15 am 6:15am local time almost exactly 5 days from when we left GT in the Bahamas. not to bad for 963 miles considering the winds were on the light side most of the time. Had to motor the last night as the wind was doing circles in the numerous squalls. Welcome to Panama at this time of year, it rained on and off all day as well. Bad news is that the canal is backed up 13 to 17 days depending on who you talk to. This due to the canal advisors not working much for the last two weeks, carnival and then Easter holiday. Hopefully we should know something by Wednesday.

05/01/2011 | Emilie
I miss you daddy! keep posting info :)
Gt to Panama day 5
04/24/2011, Caribbean Sea

6:45pm These daily updates are primarily to keep family informed of our progress. Hard to come up with a lot of news while on passage which is not a bad thing. Not much different today, sail changes etc... Our last 100 miles may be a little sleepless tonight as we have a few squalls to pass though later. All is well on Ovive.

04/24/2011 | Jenny
We still love hearing from you guys, even if it seems uneventful to you.
Happy sailing Jenny

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: David, Alec, Emilie, Nathalie
Port: Tavernier, Florida USA
View Complete Profile »
Cat Cruisers • 
SailBlogs Friends
Swingin on a Star Kokomo Juno Cheval 

Powered by SailBlogs