Bookmark and Share
A family travels from Florida to New Zealand aboard their St Francis 50 catamaran
Las Perlas to Galapagos day 3
05/24/2011, 03 23.12N 081 29.63W

Yesterday morning after writing the blog which I am doing every morning at 6am by the way I was so sick of pounding into the waves I raised the sails, shut off the engine and told the crew we were heading directly for the Marquesas. That lasted for about an hour as we were only able to sail NW back up into the ITCZ which I was not keen on doing. So back to plan A , the Galapagos with a different strategy. Instead of motoring directly at our destination we would tack back and forth but still using the motor to enable us to point higher. Well it was more a comfortable ride and we covered a lot of miles but in the end after doing it all day we were still only 50 miles closer, the same as we would have been if we had motored directly towards the destination. At sunset we shut down the engine and sailed SSE all night loosing ground (VMG of -.5 to -2 knots all night) with the idea that we would not catch any nets in the prop if it was not turning. This has been our first night doing any speed since the log. The other reason to head south is looking for a favorable current which we have not found yet. Yesterday we passed a point on the chart that we had reached in March 08 after 34 hours sailing and no engine hours. This time we were at 60 hours, all of them with the engine on. Just pulled down the latest grib, shows we should have 5 knots from the west but we have 15-20 from the WSW. 547 miles to go.

05/24/2011 | Dionne Tremblay
Hey Dave!! sending you wind!! great blog, wow about the log... here's sending smooth sailing! Cheers from all of us on Orca III
05/24/2011 | Ted Gordon
Hang in there, Remember the one thing you can always count on is change, sounds like a little change in wind direction would be welcome right now! Praying for fair winds and no more logs, take care, Ted and Gail.
Las Perlas to ?
05/23/2011, 05 28.02N 081 42.45W

The wind picked up from the SW right on the nose and we bashed into it all day to make only 65 miles. By sunset we were only 15 miles past where we hit the log a little over a week ago. During the night we only make 32 miles for a total of 97 miles this 24 hour period. Something will have to change today; perhaps we shall sail west...thinking about it.

Las Perlas to Galapagos day 1
05/22/2011, 06 26.25N 080 26.40W

It may seen that this trip is not fun anymore reading the entries around Panama City. Well hopefully all that is behind us now. Yesterday was wonderful, we lifted anchor at 5:50am in order to get a good days run in before it was too dark to see. Again we saw quite a few logs but they started to thin out rapidly as the day went on. By 9am we had landed 2 large tuna and 4 Mahi Mahi as well as 3 bonito which we released. So tuna sushi for lunch and mahi mahi on the grill for diner. The day was filled with other sea life as well including seeing a marlin jump out of the water, a huge ray jump out of the water, turtles, mahi mahi jumping while chasing smaller fish, porpoise jumping and swimming under the bow, and numerous birds that stayed with us using our boat to scare the small flying fish out of the water at which point they would swoop down and grab them midair. We made 93 miles from 6am to 6pm and 44 miles from 6pm to 6am this morning due to keeping the speed down to 3 knot at night. The wind has been from 12 knots to 0 knots and blowing from dead astern to right on the nose during this first 24 hour period. No rain for the last few days which is unusual for this time of year around here. We still have another 50 miles to the area we hit the log on the first attempt so a sharp watch will be kept all day and then another slow night.

05/22/2011 | Jenny Mulligan
Fingers crossed, good luck, Great day of fishing , John will be jealous
Las Perlas
05/20/2011, isla San Jose, Las Perlas, Paanama

Not sure what I posted last but we managed to repair both rudders with only two nights in dry dock. Then back to Panama City for two nights. Filled with fuel and left this morning for the Las Perlas islands where we are now anchored. We must have made over a hundred course corrections during the 50 some mile trip. Logs were everywhere along with tires, plastic, 55 gallon drums and just about everything you could imagine. We had one person at the helm and three on bow watch the entire day. The idea is to exit the center of the Gulf of Panama this time hoping to encounter less logs but so far it's not panning out as planned. We did manage to speak with three other boats that have had a hard time in Panama. One catamaran hit a buoy while traversing the canal causing extensive fiberglass damage as well as needing to ship a new aluminum cross beam in. They expect another month of delay. Another boat got about as far as us and caught a rope in their prop breaking the engine mount and also blew out their mainsail. That happened on Friday the 13th as well. They are still waiting on parts and repair of the sail. Another boat is waiting on a head gasket from the states and is still waiting. He went though the canal 2 days before us. So when we compare, losing just over a week was not to bad. So tomorrow we will get an early start and decide by sundown what to do that night, proceed at 2 knots, lay to a sea anchor?

05/21/2011 | Don Ewart
I'd say, lay to a sea anchor. Props not turning. May hear bumps in the night. Be safe.
05/22/2011 | Jenny Mulligan
I reckon Id err on the cautious side too. Good Luck whatever you decide.
Vaca Monte, Panama
05/15/2011, Vaca Monte, Panama

I would like to thank my crew for a great job in helping me bring Ovive over 200 miles without the use of either rudder with no outside assistance. Everyone stepped up and did what had to be done. The drouge was key as well, at one point we tried to just run warps with an anchor tied to the loop from the starboard stern hoping to create less drag than the drouge but it was not enough to overcome the rudder angle that had us turning in a port circle. So we went back to the drouge rigged though two snatch blocks to the jib winch's which allowed us to adjust it to port or starboard as needed with relative ease. This worked well but kept our speed way down. We are now anchored in a fishing harbor that has a dry dock. Tomorrow we will see about getting out of the water and get an idea of what we are up against.

05/16/2011 | Amy Bright
So glad you all are ok. Good luck with repairs. Hoping it isn't too involved. xxoo, Amy B.
05/16/2011 | chris flint
yeah plz make sure all is ok, were you sailing or motoring when you hit the log?

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: David, Alec, Emilie, Nathalie
Port: Tavernier, Florida USA
View Complete Profile »
Cat Cruisers • 
SailBlogs Friends
Swingin on a Star Kokomo Juno Cheval 

Powered by SailBlogs