SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
O'VIVE PACIFIC CROSSING
A family travels from Florida to New Zealand aboard their St Francis 50 catamaran
Anchor down
David
05/27/2011, isla san cristobal, galapagos

Anchor down at 1:30pm 12:30pm local time. Have been trying to sort an agent as required. Have spoke to two that I would not trust at all and trying to hook up with a third one that sounds slightly better. Would you know it's a holiday today here, I still don't know what. Did manage to find a hardware store to buy nails and some free wood to discourage the Sea Lions. Great sailing in today, up to 11 knots at one point in flat calm seas behind the island. Spoke to a Swedish couple that found it so hard to get here they made an unplanned stop in Ecuador to recover, get fuel etc... said it was the hardest passage since leaving Sweden. Have been trying to play with the free internet in the anchorage but probably will need to wake up early to get ant real use out of it. Hope to be here just long enough to deliver on a promise to my crew and then get underway to the Marquesas.

05/27/2011 | Joe G
Congrates on a hard-won passage. Hope it's all downhill, I mean down-wind, from here
Las Perlas to Galapagos day 6
David
05/27/2011, 00 23.12S 088 39.80W

65 miles to go, 198 miles this 24 hour period. Another great day, sailed from 8:30am to 3:15pm then motored when the wind shifted and died until 7pm. Since then we spent the entire night over 9 knots close reaching in 14-17 knots of wind. It has been cool for two days now, I know we have moved into colder water (about a 5 degree drop compared to Panama) but the air temperature has dropped at least 10 degrees. If the wind holds we should have no trouble making the harbor before dark.

05/27/2011 | jenny Mulligan
Good to see Lady Luck might be swinging your way. Fingers are still crossed
Las Perlas to Galapagos Day 5
David
05/26/2011, 00 33.25N 085 25.84W

263 miles to go. Yesterday was a great day, we sailed from 4 am to 2:30 pm and then once the wind shifted back to the SW we motored directly SW to take advantage of the fact it was forecast to be around 5 knots for the next 18 hours which means more than 5 knots but it was a comfortable night. Now we are just 33 miles north of the equator and poised to either motor sail or hopefully sail the rest of the way in depending on how much west is in the wind.

Las Perlas to Galagapos Day 4
David
05/25/2011, 02 08.77N 083 09.24W

424 miles to ago. Day 4 was painful, motoring right into 15-20 knots. During the night I had to keep reducing engine rpm's until we were just barely moving to keep the boat from crashing about. (read no sleep) But this morning which is the beginning of day 5 things are looking up. The engine was shut down at 4 am, the jib rolled out and we have been sailing for the past 1.5 hours within 10 degrees of our way point. We have a steady 15 knots from the south and even though we are tight on the wind and we are going at least 2 knots faster the ride has smoothed out nicely. On top of that the heavy cloud cover has lifted and the stars are shining.

05/25/2011 | chris flint
sounds like ur cutting thru it, keep her in the wind and headed toward ur goal, be safe

chris
Las Perlas to Galapagos day 3
David
05/24/2011, 03 23.12N 081 29.63W

Yesterday morning after writing the blog which I am doing every morning at 6am by the way I was so sick of pounding into the waves I raised the sails, shut off the engine and told the crew we were heading directly for the Marquesas. That lasted for about an hour as we were only able to sail NW back up into the ITCZ which I was not keen on doing. So back to plan A , the Galapagos with a different strategy. Instead of motoring directly at our destination we would tack back and forth but still using the motor to enable us to point higher. Well it was more a comfortable ride and we covered a lot of miles but in the end after doing it all day we were still only 50 miles closer, the same as we would have been if we had motored directly towards the destination. At sunset we shut down the engine and sailed SSE all night loosing ground (VMG of -.5 to -2 knots all night) with the idea that we would not catch any nets in the prop if it was not turning. This has been our first night doing any speed since the log. The other reason to head south is looking for a favorable current which we have not found yet. Yesterday we passed a point on the chart that we had reached in March 08 after 34 hours sailing and no engine hours. This time we were at 60 hours, all of them with the engine on. Just pulled down the latest grib, shows we should have 5 knots from the west but we have 15-20 from the WSW. 547 miles to go.

05/24/2011 | Dionne Tremblay
Hey Dave!! sending you wind!! great blog, wow about the log... here's sending smooth sailing! Cheers from all of us on Orca III
05/24/2011 | Ted Gordon
Hang in there, Remember the one thing you can always count on is change, sounds like a little change in wind direction would be welcome right now! Praying for fair winds and no more logs, take care, Ted and Gail.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs