Bookmark and Share
A family travels from Florida to New Zealand aboard their St Francis 50 catamaran
In Route to Manihi
06/24/2011, 10 42S 142 10W

It turns out Seb and Lise were able to make the waterfall. They were only just able to cross the rivers on the way as they were running high due to all the rain. They ran into a nice Marquesan couple on the way back who wanted to trade for fruit. Turns out ¾ of one of the tunas did the trick for as much as they could carry. It has been so rough they had not been able to get out fishing for a while. In the morning we left for Manihi in the Tuamotu's a 480 mile passage. I choose Manihi as it lies directly in the path to Tahiti and with one rudder it would not be prudent to go zigzagging though the Atolls as originally planned. It has been blowing for a week and the gribs showed it would be decreasing. Well this morning it has decreased to 20 knots which sounds like silence after yesterday. 30 knots with waves on the beam to match made for a nervous ride with just the one rudder. I had to adjust the quadrant every 15 minutes at the worse part. But we sailed with just the jib rolled out a little bit and conditions slowly improved throughout the night and I am now adjusting every 1 ½ hour. Free Spirit is less than 10 miles behind and willing to lend assistance if we lose the remaining rudder.

A short sail
06/22/2011, Hakatea Bay, Daniels Bay

Today we bought salad, bread and a few vegetables then upped anchor and moved a few miles to Hakatea Bay sometimes called Daniels Bay. We caught two nice tuna just before entering the bay. The waves have conspired against us again and it was too rough to attempt a dingy landing so I dropped Seb and Lise ashore in a different bay. Whether they can make it to the falls from where I dropped them remains to be seen. Meanwhile Dean and I have been doing boat chores. Tomorrow we will depart for Tahiti with perhaps a rest stop in the Tuamotus. Two new rudders should be awaiting us in Tahiti.

06/19/2011, Taiohae Bay

I have been remiss in keeping the blog up to date, partly due to the lure of internet; it really sucks all your time. We had a 12 hour sail from Tahuata to Nuku-Hiva arriving just before dark. The anchorage I remember as peaceful and idyllic was anything but with the overly strong southeasterlys we were having. Every squall brought a new wind direction with the many (it was quite crowded) boats turning every which way requiring a lot of space between you and your neighbor. We gave up trying to crowd into the east end of the anchorage and went to the west side by ourselves. Not as good internet, but at least we were safe. We spent 3 nights rocking and rolling. We saw two dingys damaged while we were there, people not using a stern anchor and the surge will either flip it when it come in contact with the wall or it will get under the ladder and punctured. I saw both in the short while we were there. We tried to obtain fuel directly from the quay, a stressful process in the big swells and rain while trying to med moor just up wind of a large barge. The end result is after receiving the fuel hose aboard via heaving line it was a bit too short. So we took on 310 liters using the dingy, jerry jugs, and a line to lower the jugs into the dingy from the quay. We paid $147 CPF per liter or $6.95 US per gal. We could have paid $104 CPF (duty Free) if we hired an agent but the agent would have cost more than we would have saved and French Polynesia is one place you don't need an agent, it is just so easy. It is a wonderful place normally; we just hit it the wrong weather time and with a whole lot of other boats.

06/18/2011, Tahuata

We spent a wonderful four nights in Fatu-Hiva and today made the short 50 mile hop to Tahuata arriving at 1pm. Since there is no bank or atm in Fatu-Hiva we obtained all our fruit and souvenirs by trading. Every night just after dark they would practice their Marquesian dance and song and we were there every night! The people of Fatu-Hiva are still as wonderful as I remembered them. I managed to hike up to the cross this time which was quite good after being sedentary for so long. The last night we had Free Sprit and Katy C over for drinks and snacks, something we had been looking forward to since meeting them in the Galapagos.

Day 16 Galapagos to Marquises
06/15/2011, Faru-Hiva

Arrived at 4pm local time after a very nice sail in under the kite. 2970 miles in 372 hours (15 days and 12 hours) which is an average speed of 7.98 knots or 191.6 miles per day. Not bad considering we were handicapped the last three days. The first thing done was to clean the waterline of all the growth before it got a chance to dry. Although we have two hundred feet of waterline to clean it's not near as much work as some of the slower boats. A Swiss boat pulled in several hours after us and you could collect dinner from the sides of their boat. Next thing was to consume massive amounts of beer, and then a quick dinner left over from lunch. Now well past dark when we should have been collapsing into bed the sounds of drums drew us to shore. We found two groups doing dance and singing rehearsals. The policeman remembered me after some prodding of his memory about the generator and truck I had helped fix. He has a new truck now but his son still drives the old one. I made an appointment with one of the children to score some fruit later today. Then it was back to a very still Ovive for sleeping.

06/16/2011 | chris flint
awesome, so glad you made it
heres a link to a tide guide helper entering coves. see below

tide guide for the islands out there

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: David, Alec, Emilie, Nathalie
Port: Tavernier, Florida USA
View Complete Profile »
Cat Cruisers • 
SailBlogs Friends
Swingin on a Star Kokomo Juno Cheval 

Powered by SailBlogs