12 April 2024 | Gunnamatta Bay Port Hacking
08 April 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
22 March 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
04 March 2024 | Jervis Bay
21 February 2024 | Eden, New South Wales
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
15 February 2024 | Eddystone Point
12 February 2024 | Triabunna Tasmania
04 February 2024 | Swansea, Cole Bay and Triabunna
01 February 2024 | Cole Bay Tasmania
30 January 2024 | Chinamans Bay Maria Island
21 January 2024 | Port Arthur
17 January 2024 | Parson's Bay
10 January 2024 | Garden Island Bay, Tasmania
09 January 2024 | Oyster Cove Marina, Kettering, Tasmania
08 January 2024 | Simmonds Bay
07 January 2024 | Hobart Tasmania
06 January 2024 | Hobart Tasmania

Passage Days 3 and 4 to New Zealand-Minerva Reef

05 November 2016 | North Minerva Reef
Jeanette
We had a good sail to Minerva Reef and it took us two and half days to get there from Nuku'alofa. In the end we had to motor some of the time to increase our boat speed so we could arrive before dark. It was funny to see masts in the distance just sitting in the ocean and as we got closer we could see the reef. The pass was easy to enter and when we arrived the weather was very calm, unlike a few hours earlier where we had rain and some squally wind. As soon as we entered the lagoon, we were amazed at how flat the sea was and it looked like a big mirror in the ocean. It was beautiful! We had the anchor down by 5:30pm Friday and enjoyed a drink watching the sunset later than it has been, as we are heading south.

There were 8 boats in the lagoon and we made up the ninth boat. The lagoon is large and could fit lots of boats. The water is reasonably deep, as we anchored in 50 feet. There was such an eerie feeling about being here as we both said how quiet is was. There was no sound and it was so peaceful. As it was so calm, even the waves were very quiet. We were both tired from the passage and had a night relaxing watching a movie, although I think Neil missed bits of it asleep.

Ray on Lionheart went for a snorkel to clean the underside of his boat and got a scare when a grey shark brushed past his leg. Ilona and I went in the water for a quick swim, but didn't see anything. Neil went for a snorkel to do a final clean of the hull and didn't see sharks but saw a lot of other fish. Lufi caught a fish coming through the pass and we were told you could catch a fish with a blunt spoon going through the pass, it's that easy.

Last night, I helped a boat enter the pass, something we would be worried about doing, by giving them waypoints we had placed along our route. They were very appreciative of the help, as they didn't want to heave to outside the pass for the night. I waited up until 11 pm for them to arrive and spoke to them on the radio before they entered the pass. All went well and they anchored safely. They decided to leave today, and I am starting to think they might have chosen the best time.

We have been in radio contact with the other boats around us, regarding weather reports from Bob and Dave. They have conflicting views as yesterday Dave said leave Wednesday, while Bob said leave Sunday and that maybe Monday or Tuesday might be ok. Today, we got another update from both people. Dave said he is not happy with what he can see on the weather grib files and to hold off until he has another look on Monday. While Bob said we definitely need to leave Sunday now, as Monday would be too late and we have to arrive by next Sunday before the big front now expected on Monday/Tuesday 14/15 Nov. He also said that after this big front there is going to be a big SW swell that will extend all the way to Minerva and then we would not be able to leave until after November 18. Well today is the 5th and so that would mean waiting here for a couple of weeks. The only problem with leaving tomorrow is that tomorrow will be pretty windy, then we go into the wind the following day, so we will have to sail NW for a day (opposite direction as NZ is south, not north), then we will have at least two days of no wind and so motoring at 5 knots, but the worst is next Saturday we will probably get blasted by a front as we get within the last 100 miles close to NZ. Not as big a front as the big one predicted for Monday though. Unfortunately, we can't get to NZ by Friday. So the weather doesn't look flash, but if we wait here for a couple of weeks, we have no idea of what comes next, and if it is better or worse. There was also the possibility of a cyclone developing and that could change everything as well. So lots of weather chatting and decision making to do for everyone here at Minerva. At this stage it looks like 5 of us are leaving tomorrow. One boat might leave Monday, but they are a big cat and can get there the same day as us if they left Monday/Tuesday. There are two solo sailors on little boats 27 and 28 feet. One of them had to get towed into the lagoon by the other solo sailor, as his engine is not working. I am not sure what is wrong, but I hope he can get it working soon, as an engine is very helpful on the passage to NZ.

Neil has nicknamed Minerva reef to Minervous Reef, as we are all nervous about what will lay ahead. We have also been told to have our warm clothes ready as the weather turns cold quiet quickly as we head south and leave the tropics behind. Even swimming in the lagoon today, I thought the water was cold, but definitely nothing like NZ water.

Tonight, I was the radio net controller for the first time as Ilona asked if I could fill in for her. I was a bit worried about being able to hear and record everything down, but it was ok. It was good to hear that a few boats were only within 20 nmiles of NZ including Vagabond and I was very pleased to hear that Out of the Bag had arrived in NZ and feeling really good to be there. After the net, Ilona and Franz came over to our boat for final drink before both of our boats head off tomorrow. They are following the same route, as they also have the weather info from Bob.

So, we have had dinner and after writing this blog, I will head off to bed, not sure how much sleep I will get. Neil is reading and trying to relax at the moment, but I know inside he is very anxious about the trip. We plotted waypoints sent to us from Bob as a guide and recorded in our book all his weather info for the next week. Not much else to do and I think we are as prepared, as we will ever be.
Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Echo
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Neil and Jeanette Hay
About:
Neil and I live in Perth Western Australia. Neil used to be an accountant and I am a primary school teacher. Between us we have 4 daughters ranging in ages from 27 to 37. Neil has always loved sailing since he was a teenager. [...]
Extra: If you wish to contact us please email: jeanette.hay@bigpond.com or neilhay@bigpond.com We would love to have friends join us or would welcome anyone who enjoys the sailing and cruising lifestyle.
Social:
Echo Echo's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
9 Photos
Created 26 January 2024
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2024
Sight seeing around Hobart and southern Tasmania
100 Photos
Created 11 January 2024
Photos of us all together the week leading up to the wedding and of the wedding day.
48 Photos
Created 31 October 2015
Pictures of our new hanging hooks for our mooring lines
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2015
9 Photos
Created 10 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
A trip on the river and my birthday flowers
9 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
27 Photos
Created 2 September 2015
24 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
38 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
20 Photos
Created 5 July 2015
3 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
14 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
44 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
No Photos
Created 7 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
17 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
30 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
32 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
11 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
42 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 11 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
15 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Our time in West Bay and visiting Nassau
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
26 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
30 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Photos of Highborne and Norman's Cay
55 Photos
Created 21 April 2015
Photos of new Providence and Nassau
12 Photos
Created 8 April 2015
Photos of North Bimini
9 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
No Name Harbour and our first sights of Bimini
6 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Sunday in Miami and leaving Miami
18 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Photos of Miami Beach
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
Photos of our anchorages and sailing on the Atlantic to Miami
26 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Photos of Juno and Palm Beach
12 Photos
Created 17 March 2015
Photos of Daytona and time at Vero Beach
38 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
53 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
On our passage way from Charleston to Florida
33 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our trip to Magnolia Plantation
24 Photos
Created 15 February 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 February 2015
Sailing on Michael's yacht in Charleston
6 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
Boat engine photos
14 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
Photos of my first attempt at bread making
2 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
Photos of the historic parts of Charleston
27 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
Photos of our trip to Folly Beach
12 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
Photos of the changing from the old name to the new enhanced name.
12 Photos
Created 30 January 2015
Charleston and the boat
31 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
What Echo looked like when we first saw her.
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2014

Sailing Adventures of Neil and Jeanette

Who: Neil and Jeanette Hay
Port: Fremantle