21 April 2024 | Bobbin Head
12 April 2024 | Gunnamatta Bay Port Hacking
08 April 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
22 March 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
04 March 2024 | Jervis Bay
21 February 2024 | Eden, New South Wales
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
15 February 2024 | Eddystone Point
12 February 2024 | Triabunna Tasmania
04 February 2024 | Swansea, Cole Bay and Triabunna
01 February 2024 | Cole Bay Tasmania
30 January 2024 | Chinamans Bay Maria Island
21 January 2024 | Port Arthur
17 January 2024 | Parson's Bay
10 January 2024 | Garden Island Bay, Tasmania
09 January 2024 | Oyster Cove Marina, Kettering, Tasmania
08 January 2024 | Simmonds Bay
07 January 2024 | Hobart Tasmania

Enjoying the All Points Rally, Opua

19 November 2016 | Opua. New Zealand
Fine but cold
We have had a great time participating in the All Points Rally in Opua. We have been to seminars on sails, diesel maintenance, epoxy and fiberglass, lithium batteries and downwind sailing so far. I would never have thought that I could find seminars on these topics interesting, but when you have to be so self-reliant out at sea or in some location that has no technical support (basically the whole Pacific) you need to be able to fix things. Sometimes they get a little boring and I feel like nodding off especially after a sausage sizzle lunch. We have also been busy socializing and going to free sausage sizzle lunches, free BBQ dinners, a free pizza and comedy night and after the comedy show we did the quiz night at the Cruising Club and won it in the last round. We were coming third and 4 points down and the last round was brain teasers and we got a perfect 10 out of 10 and won the quiz by 1 point. We thought that was pretty cool and we all won a free drink as the prize.

We attended the bus trip to Kerikeri and it was a lovely day out visiting the Stone Store, Waipapa Retail Centre, Kauri Wood Workshop, Makana Chocolates and the town of Kerikeri. We have spent time socializing each day with everyone and last night we had an evening on Ta-B with about 20 others and did a sing along with the Irish boat and one of English boats playing guitars, tin whistles and ukuleles. It was so much fun. I am just so amazed at some of the cruisers as they have been sailing for many years and some are well into their sixties, seventies and eighties. I met the solo sailor from Double Angel who is well in his seventies and he was telling me of his future sailing plans as he heads up to Asia, then into the Red sea and then wants to go up the Baltic Sea. One of the boats near us is a Scottish boat called Enchantress and the skipper is seventy and he was up dancing and singing last night. I asked him how he has so much energy, as Neil had left Ta-B at 9pm to go to bed as he was tired. He said he gets tired, but he intends to live and enjoy each day to its full. A great attitude and one so common among cruisers.

Then you have the other side with boats that have young couples with small toddlers on board or families with three or four kids all living on a boat much smaller than ours. They cope so well and the best thing is, they have the most well-adjusted, educated and self-confident children I have ever met. At the comedy night, some of the families with kids got up to tell jokes or do skits and the kids stole the show. The children were between 5 and 8 and performing in front of close to 100 people did not faze them at all. All the children we have met are so confident in speaking to other adults, have so much to share about their experiences and they can swim, snorkel, sail, canoe, navigate, wind surf, drive dinghies, fish, kite sail and do more activities than either Neil or I can do. Fortunately there are a number of family boats so the children also get to socialize with other children and the best part is, they are mixing with children from everywhere. As a teacher, I have often wondered how children would do being away from formal schooling, but I can now say that the quality of education these children are getting is superior. It is easier now doing home schooling than it used to be, as you get sent the course material and program that the children need to follow. They only need to do one to two hours a day and they learn more than a child attending a whole day of school, where there are so many interruptions. Most of the children we have met are well above their school age and they have the added advantage of experiencing different cultures and learning how important it is to problem solve, have patience, tolerance and determination as many virtues are tested in a sailing environment. A big change for me, as I have always considered formal schooling the best option.

We had a lovely day yesterday catching up with Matt and Karol, Neil’s longtime friends that live in Russell. They caught the car ferry over for a visit and will come again for dinner on Tuesday night. They lived on a small boat with their three young children for 12 years and so know what the cruising and liveaboard lifestyle is all about. Matt is also an electrician and helped us out with a couple of things while here. He noticed we had an issue and insisted in having a look. I had booked an electrician to look at the toilet pump on Tuesday and Matt found the problem to be hair caught inside the pump. How the hair got inside a pump we don’t know but the problem is fixed. He also isolated our bilge pump issue and the problem with that is that it needed to be cleaned. We had an oil spill into the bilge a while ago and it seems that the oil had got into the bilge pump float switch and was stopping it from moving properly. After a good degrease/clean the float switch is working again. Now when the electrician comes on Tuesday, our list has been reduced to one or two things.

We have lots to look forward to this week with more seminars, dinners and the popular sausage sizzles. We are also hoping that many of our friends will arrive later this week as there was a large number of them stuck at Minerva reef waiting for a weather window. I hope they can leave and get a good passage. Unfortunately and it is extremely frustrating for me, is that being in a marina we can’t get the radio net. There is too much interference. The problem is most of the net controllers have arrived and are in a marina and so Balvenie is finding it hard to get someone else to do the net with them. I am not able to hear the radio at all otherwise I would do it for the next week while there is a large contingent sailing here. I feel really bad that I can’t be of assistance as having the radio net was so important to me. I am also looking forward to seeing Balvenie as they will complete their circumnavigation of the world when they arrive. What a fantastic achievement. It is also Mark’s birthday next Saturday, so hopefully they are here by then, so we can all celebrate with them.

Today, we are doing odd jobs on the boat, I am writing my blog and I am anticipating the taste of the lamb roast I will hopefully have tonight at the Cruising Yacht Club in Opua. It is the Sunday roast night and they have had roast lamb the last 3 week, so it might change they said and not be roast lamb. For us who arrived this week, we are keeping our fingers crossed for lamb, as it is almost impossible to get lamb in the Pacific. Even though I love roast pork, we all have said we had lots of pork so we are looking forward to lamb. What ever happens a good roast is always yummy!

I did feel good yesterday when I saw Jonas off Alma arrive, as he is a young solo sailor sailing a very small 27 foot boat. He got caught in the last front, and is relieved to be here. We are all still looking out for Sparrow as that is only a 26 foot boat and I just hope he will get here safely very soon. Both Sparrow and Alma left a couple of days after us from Minerva. I am also looking out for Gene and Bill from Out of the Bag as they flew back to Fiji from NZ to bring someone else’s boat back to NZ after they got their boat here. Crazy, is what I think, but I know Bill loves to sail and doing this trip doesn’t faze him. I hope it goes smoothly for Gene as I could not imagine getting here and then doing the trip again so soon. They have left Fiji, so they should be here by the end of this week. Next weekend could be a big weekend with catchup celebrations, the end of the rally and the start of farewells as we all have to move on. That will definitely be a very sad time for me, as many of the people we will say goodbye to, we have spent so much time with them this year and we may never see some of them again.


Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Echo
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Neil and Jeanette Hay
About:
Neil and I live in Perth Western Australia. Neil used to be an accountant and I am a primary school teacher. Between us we have 4 daughters ranging in ages from 27 to 37. Neil has always loved sailing since he was a teenager. [...]
Extra: If you wish to contact us please email: jeanette.hay@bigpond.com or neilhay@bigpond.com We would love to have friends join us or would welcome anyone who enjoys the sailing and cruising lifestyle.
Social:
Echo Echo's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
9 Photos
Created 26 January 2024
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2024
Sight seeing around Hobart and southern Tasmania
100 Photos
Created 11 January 2024
Photos of us all together the week leading up to the wedding and of the wedding day.
48 Photos
Created 31 October 2015
Pictures of our new hanging hooks for our mooring lines
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2015
9 Photos
Created 10 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
A trip on the river and my birthday flowers
9 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
27 Photos
Created 2 September 2015
24 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
38 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
20 Photos
Created 5 July 2015
3 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
14 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
44 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
No Photos
Created 7 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
17 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
30 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
32 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
11 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
42 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 11 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
15 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Our time in West Bay and visiting Nassau
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
26 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
30 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Photos of Highborne and Norman's Cay
55 Photos
Created 21 April 2015
Photos of new Providence and Nassau
12 Photos
Created 8 April 2015
Photos of North Bimini
9 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
No Name Harbour and our first sights of Bimini
6 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Sunday in Miami and leaving Miami
18 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Photos of Miami Beach
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
Photos of our anchorages and sailing on the Atlantic to Miami
26 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Photos of Juno and Palm Beach
12 Photos
Created 17 March 2015
Photos of Daytona and time at Vero Beach
38 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
53 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
On our passage way from Charleston to Florida
33 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our trip to Magnolia Plantation
24 Photos
Created 15 February 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 February 2015
Sailing on Michael's yacht in Charleston
6 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
Boat engine photos
14 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
Photos of my first attempt at bread making
2 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
Photos of the historic parts of Charleston
27 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
Photos of our trip to Folly Beach
12 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
Photos of the changing from the old name to the new enhanced name.
12 Photos
Created 30 January 2015
Charleston and the boat
31 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
What Echo looked like when we first saw her.
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2014

Sailing Adventures of Neil and Jeanette

Who: Neil and Jeanette Hay
Port: Fremantle