21 April 2024 | Bobbin Head
12 April 2024 | Gunnamatta Bay Port Hacking
08 April 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
22 March 2024 | Shell Harbour Marina
04 March 2024 | Jervis Bay
21 February 2024 | Eden, New South Wales
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
18 February 2024 | Flinders Island
15 February 2024 | Eddystone Point
12 February 2024 | Triabunna Tasmania
04 February 2024 | Swansea, Cole Bay and Triabunna
01 February 2024 | Cole Bay Tasmania
30 January 2024 | Chinamans Bay Maria Island
21 January 2024 | Port Arthur
17 January 2024 | Parson's Bay
10 January 2024 | Garden Island Bay, Tasmania
09 January 2024 | Oyster Cove Marina, Kettering, Tasmania
08 January 2024 | Simmonds Bay
07 January 2024 | Hobart Tasmania

Echo Echo has arrived in Tauranga

03 December 2016 | Tauranga, New Zealand
Fine
We have finally arrived at Echo Echo’s resting ground for 2017. Her hull is still very grubby, but the cockpit is clean again and the decks so so. We arrived late yesterday afternoon and anchored just opposite the marina. We had booked to come into the marina today and timed it to enter at slack tide, as we have been warned that this marina is difficult to get into the berths. We enjoyed this passage to Tauranga, day sailing our way down and the weather we had was glorious, even if the wind was a little light on.

My last blog was from Smokehouse Bay two days ago. As we were leaving Smokehouse Bay at Great Barrier Island we noticed a boat that we recognized. It was Dale on Dragonsbane. We called him up on the radio and he was also going to Tauranga. As our chartplotter in the cockpit had malfunctioned and constantly was turning itself on and off continuously we have been unable to use it. We said to Dale that we would follow him out the narrow channel as well as use our Ipad to see if there were any shallow patches or obstacles. As we were both going in the same direction, I said to him that I would keep in touch with him on the journey. We had a great saiingl day and it was so good, as there was no swell and we used our gennaker in the light winds. We were doing between 5-7 knots all day and cruised along. The only frustrating part was the lack of a chartplotter in the cockpit. During the day, Dale stayed within viewing range of our boat. Late in the afternoon, when it was time to consider where to anchor we looked at our options.

We chose to go to Boat Harbour as we could make it by 7 pm and there would still be heaps of daylight after that. The sun doesn’t set until about 8:20pm. I told Dale of our plans and he liked that option as well. Once anchored Dale came over to our boat for dinner. I was making a curry and there was enough for three people. He bought over some wine and beer and we had a lovely night chatting. His wife Tanya has gone to Australia to visit her sister and I think Dale enjoyed having company. The bay was not large, but ended up being very protective and it was a scenic spot.

The next morning we got up early to get a start to Tauranga. We decided that we would go all the way to Tauranga and anchor close to the marina ready to enter at slack tide the next day. Dale decided he would try to get into the marina that day. It was another beautiful day, although we did have to motor sail part of the time. We got to see 6 orcas and the largest one was banging his tail on the water. We were not sure if he was being aggressive or playing but it was an impressive display. We have been lucky this trip to also see a huge pod of dolphins swimming along beside our boat. They did this for ages and I hope the videos I took work out. In the afternoon Neil turned the engine off and we sailed for a while at 2-3 knots. It was going to be the last time we sailed for a while, so I think he wanted to enjoy the last day. He also got the fishing rod out, plus our hand line to try to catch a fish. But unfortunately we didn’t catch anything on the journey to Tauranga. We also tested our water maker to see if it leaked and it didn’t so that is wonderful news for us. Next week we will have to pickle it for long term storage which is not a nice process as it involves using this horrible toxic chemical.

Going down the coastline of New Zealand, I said to Neil that it was one of the best scenic coastlines we have sailed. Lots of bays, small towns and beaches. We really need to spend more time cruising this coast and there are so many islands so close by off the coast. As we approached Tauranga, it felt weird to see tall buildings and my first thought was of Florida. It has been a long time since we have seen such a big city with high rise buildings. The last time would have been Panama City. I actually didn’t like the feeling at first, as I wanted the boat to turn around and go back to one of the small islands. The lure of the city doesn’t have the same appeal as it used to for me. It also made me realise that our journey has now come to an end. I was on the verge of tears as Neil and I both felt a little sad to enter Tauranga. He did say he was excited to see his family, as was I, but not knowing when we can continue the sailing seems to make it a lot harder to accept the end. The good thing is we are both positive about wanting to sail in the future and all that we have experienced has not put us off the idea.

Coming into the marina this morning was a little tricky and they do have a guy called Brett who cruises around in a dinghy with a big bumper on the front to bump you into the berths. He did say the marina is not an easy one to enter and one of the hardest in the world. Great, is what I thought and that made we feel a little nervous. We had line and fenders reader and I gave him lines as well which he took to the berth ready for us. It took two attempts as the current/wind not only was pushing us into the berth but sideways as well. We got in with Brett bumping gently our stern to keep it straight while Neil reversed into the berth. We wanted to reverse so that we could get visitors to enter the transom from the floating dock. This was going to be easier for Neil’s dad to get on board.

We had only just arrived and had not finished tying the lines when Neil’s mum and dad, plus friends of theirs arrived. It was lovely to see them and we helped them on board. A short time later Neil’s sister Anne, and Warwick with Jack and Meg arrived as well. We all had fish and chips wrapped in paper for lunch as that is what Neil requested. I had offered to make lunch for everyone, but Neil’s mum said fish and chips was fine for them and she was happy to buy them for everyone.

Once Neil’s family had gone we saw Dale who is in the berth opposite us and we also went to see Laurie and Chris on Moonraker. Laurie was not there, but we saw Chris and invited them for drinks tomorrow night. Tomorrow morning we are getting picked up by Neil’s mum to go and get a few groceries and then we will go back to their house. In the afternoon we will probably visit Anne and Warrick at their place. A day off from the boat. Starting Monday, it will be a busy week, as we need to start working on what we need to do to prepare the boat to be left for a year. I will leave Tauranga on December 12 and so a lot to do before I leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Echo
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Neil and Jeanette Hay
About:
Neil and I live in Perth Western Australia. Neil used to be an accountant and I am a primary school teacher. Between us we have 4 daughters ranging in ages from 27 to 37. Neil has always loved sailing since he was a teenager. [...]
Extra: If you wish to contact us please email: jeanette.hay@bigpond.com or neilhay@bigpond.com We would love to have friends join us or would welcome anyone who enjoys the sailing and cruising lifestyle.
Social:
Echo Echo's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
9 Photos
Created 26 January 2024
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2024
Sight seeing around Hobart and southern Tasmania
100 Photos
Created 11 January 2024
Photos of us all together the week leading up to the wedding and of the wedding day.
48 Photos
Created 31 October 2015
Pictures of our new hanging hooks for our mooring lines
8 Photos
Created 3 October 2015
9 Photos
Created 10 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
A trip on the river and my birthday flowers
9 Photos
Created 6 September 2015
27 Photos
Created 2 September 2015
24 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
38 Photos
Created 14 August 2015
20 Photos
Created 5 July 2015
3 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
14 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
44 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
27 Photos
Created 19 June 2015
No Photos
Created 7 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
17 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
30 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
32 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
11 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
42 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 11 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
15 Photos
Created 8 May 2015
23 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
5 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Our time in West Bay and visiting Nassau
22 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
26 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
30 Photos
Created 22 April 2015
Photos of Highborne and Norman's Cay
55 Photos
Created 21 April 2015
Photos of new Providence and Nassau
12 Photos
Created 8 April 2015
Photos of North Bimini
9 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
No Name Harbour and our first sights of Bimini
6 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Sunday in Miami and leaving Miami
18 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
Photos of Miami Beach
10 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
Photos of our anchorages and sailing on the Atlantic to Miami
26 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Photos of Juno and Palm Beach
12 Photos
Created 17 March 2015
Photos of Daytona and time at Vero Beach
38 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
53 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
On our passage way from Charleston to Florida
33 Photos
Created 24 February 2015
Our trip to Magnolia Plantation
24 Photos
Created 15 February 2015
2 Photos
Created 12 February 2015
Sailing on Michael's yacht in Charleston
6 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
Boat engine photos
14 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
Photos of my first attempt at bread making
2 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
Photos of the historic parts of Charleston
27 Photos
Created 1 February 2015
Photos of our trip to Folly Beach
12 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
Photos of the changing from the old name to the new enhanced name.
12 Photos
Created 30 January 2015
Charleston and the boat
31 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
What Echo looked like when we first saw her.
20 Photos
Created 8 October 2014

Sailing Adventures of Neil and Jeanette

Who: Neil and Jeanette Hay
Port: Fremantle