Echo Beach

26 October 2019
26 October 2019
24 October 2019
22 October 2019
18 October 2019
14 October 2019
08 October 2019
06 October 2019
05 October 2019
01 October 2019
29 September 2019
18 September 2019
16 September 2019
14 September 2019
06 September 2019
04 September 2019
03 September 2019

Fresh Air..and lots of it!

13 July 2013 | Hamilton Island, Whitsundays
Windy, wet, windy, wet
Well, we are still at Hamilton Island. We have had rain, sun, wind, showers, clouds, wind and more wind...at least we are well protected on the brand new H arm which has only been open a few weeks and being at the South end is well away from the noise of the tavern and night club - it offers quietness and great new marina facilities.
One day we walked up to Passage Peak, a reasonably challenging, steep trek (the way we went anyway!) which was rewarded with postcard views (even with a little blue sky). The legs were very sore after – which was surprising as we have done a fair bit of walking everywhere around Hamilton and its almost 2 klm alone from the marina pen to the main shops and back! Another day we wandered around the hills admiring the amazing private homes of the rich and famous. Some beautiful properties which you would never realise were there unless you got off the beaten tourist track. And on another day we discovered the refurbished classic yacht ‘Sir Thomas Sopwith’ in the marina – Leanne promptly declaring that this should be ours!
Another day was spent cleaning and general chores. Very therapeutic says Skipper. He had some detachable side clears made up while we were in Airlie Beach - to provide protection in the cockpit from wind and rain so you can still be outside in bad weather. After some adjustments, chandlery visits and finally accepting First Mate advice, means they now work a treat and have been well tested here.
Other days after morning walks we attempted a lie around the resort pools which, if you find a good spot, can be well protected from the breeze. There are a few ways to ensure rain – go and lie on a sunlounge with a book - and another is to open the boat hatches. Both will guarantee that the sun you think you have will disappear and turn to rain! Very little successful sun lounging has been done since the first day we arrived.
We have enjoyed some wonderful meals at the Italian restaurant ‘Romanos’, ‘Mariners’ (seafood) restaurant, and at ‘Bommies’ – an amazing meal at the new yacht Club. The yacht club has a great bar also which we could only enjoy on one afternoon (it rained while we were there too...and it was closed due to the weather the next time we attempted a visit!). The yacht club is a great icon although one does wonder how it can truly serve its purpose as it’s best features are so exposed (and dependant) on the weather.
We feel for those holidaymakers who have chartered boats or are staying on the island when they end up with a week or so of poor weather as it does really limit what they can do and how they can enjoy. The beach and water activities were all also closed for quite a few days.
Regardless of what we have ended up doing, the days have seemed to just disappear and you wonder where it all went as you sit down to sunset drinks! We are looking forward to moving on though and with the strong wind warning now gone, we will be leaving the marina tomorrow as planned and spend some nights initially at Sawmill Bay, Cid Harbour. There is still 20-25 kt winds forecast for a few days and Cid Harbour is nicely protected while we work out where to next.
Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Beach
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 405
Hailing Port: Newport, NSW
Crew: Graham & Leanne
Echo Beach's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 13 June 2019
1 Photo
Created 30 March 2013