Echo Beach

26 October 2019
26 October 2019
24 October 2019
22 October 2019
18 October 2019
14 October 2019
08 October 2019
06 October 2019
05 October 2019
01 October 2019
29 September 2019
18 September 2019
16 September 2019
14 September 2019
06 September 2019
04 September 2019
03 September 2019

Hervey Bay Beauty - mostly...

23 October 2013 | Hervey Bay and Sandy Straits
Warm, some clouds
Early Sunday morning we did leave Bundaberg - winds were forecast to be 10-15 kts and we would be going into the wind for the most part but it was either that or wait until Tues/Wed and then go straight through to Wide Bay Bar missing Hervey Bay. Yep another dreaded southerly was coming on Friday!
We left the yuk coffee coloured water of the Burnett River heading straight out the shipping channel (past the dredge that had worked around the clock since we arrived....) The waters cleared as we journeyed across Hervey Bay to Platypus Bay on Fraser Island, the trip taking longer than planned because of the tide and headwind. But WOW - it was certainly worth the effort.
Platypus Bay is perfection - I know we have said that about one or two others but this one really is! It is the inside/western bay of Fraser Island, In Hervey Bay. It has miles and miles of sand, sand hills and the clearest bluest water of varying hues as the depth changes. I could see the bottom and every detail in over 8 metres of water as we anchored - even with the wind on the water, so can only imagine how beautiful it could be in perfectly calm conditions. It is only accessible by boat (as Fraser Island visitors are not permitted to drive this side) and you apparently can anchor anywhere along the miles and miles of sandy coast - we anchored in one of the suggested areas around the Lagoon anchorage. It truly is a beautiful uncrowded place. We enjoyed a swim and walk after arriving and wondered where all the people were! There was plenty of sea life though - we enjoyed a number of whale sightings on the journey and not far from where we anchored turtles. In the evening we had visits at the stern of the boat from baby coral sea snakes (dozens of them) and baby crabs. The water was also just alive with schools of fish and clouds of birds following them - these fish learnt their lessons well though as none would take the Skippers lure or bait after many attempts!
We had a wonderfully calm sleep and in the morning enjoyed a long beach walk and swim in pristine perfect conditions. Just the best beach - definitely our no. 1 in the list now! We could stay here for a week - and nearly agreed to do so - before a touch of reality kicked in with the weather forecasts.
So unfortunately we left around midday to get further south to Moon Point. The journey was interrupted with Skipper getting the biggest bite on his line - and then the 100 pound braid line snapped - losing lure, line and big fish! Skipper also lost it for a moment!
Now Moon Point doesn't make our best list for other reasons - it was calm enough for the night but boy, the tidal sand flats had a very strong hydrogen sulphide smell (rotten eggs!) - and it persevered all night waking us up on a few occasions - we looked at each other - no it was the beach!!!! The water here is also that sandy murky green yellow we are seeing around the coast - so no swim that afternoon. But we did enjoy a glorious sunset that night!
Wednesday was navigation day - getting through the Sandy Straits on the rising, almost high tide to manoeuvre around the various beacons and shallow bits. All went to plan perfectly - we left Moon Point at 7 am, motoring in reasonably calm waters with the tide assisting us pretty much all the way. Shortly after leaving we encountered a big whale sunbaking on the surface with the tiniest baby whale which must have just been born. We arrived at Pelican Bay/Inskip Point around 1 pm and are now sitting here in a strengthening wind (not forecast...). Our plan is to cross Wide Bay Bar tomorrow morning before the 8 or so hour journey to Mooloolaba.
Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Beach
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 405
Hailing Port: Newport, NSW
Crew: Graham & Leanne
Echo Beach's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 13 June 2019
1 Photo
Created 30 March 2013