Echo Beach

26 October 2019
26 October 2019
24 October 2019
22 October 2019
18 October 2019
14 October 2019
08 October 2019
06 October 2019
05 October 2019
01 October 2019
29 September 2019
18 September 2019
16 September 2019
14 September 2019
06 September 2019
04 September 2019
03 September 2019

Stunning Scawfell

06 October 2013 | Scawfell Island
Hot sunny and windy
We arrived at Scawfell Island - stunning with the pretty colours of the water, long sandy beach and big green steep hills. We dropped anchor and settled in listening to the VHF radio for the latest weather - we heard a Mackay Weather report that thunderstorms were developing up and down the coast. Sure enough some dark clouds started to poke over the tops of those high hills and the perfect late afternoon was rapidly changing. Around sunset the winds increased and the seas picked up from our vulnerable side in this north facing bay - some of the waves were even breaking as they went by – should have brought the surf board! We had come in here to be safe from the southerly winds due tomorrow. As it was getting darker, the weather picking up and the rocking and rolling of the boat began. By the time we went to bed we had a good fore aft rocking motion happening – when the winds dropped we would find ourselves abeam the sea for a great rolling session or even facing the south with the swell then smacking our stern. It was going to be a restless night and we decided to have a gentler ride/sleep in the aft cabin – away from the big roller coasters and no waves crashing across the bow! The next day the south winds arrived with gusto as forecast however it was still hot, sunny and pretty - so we went to the beach to enjoy lunch where there was much less wind. We had a great bbq lunch with ‘Billabong’ on the beach and returned to our dinghies which were very high and dry – the tide range here is over 4 metres and that means the water goes out a long way and without the dinghies! – so we had to roll and pull them across the sand banks to the increasingly distant water.
The big event the 5th of October was Neil’s birthday. Leanne and I started the day with a beach walk and swim in the adjacent smaller (and our favourite) bay on the right hand side of our anchorage. Neil and Tamara then joined us for a morning coffee and to discuss the day’s plans. We gave Neil a few little gifts procured at Airlie Beach including a ‘C U @ 5 flag’ which we hope he flies often.
After lunch the boys had a serious fishing session out around the point. Neil caught a few – it was of course his day - my efforts were not worth keeping on this occasion. The main celebratory event was then enjoyed – a beautiful 3 course birthday dinner aboard ‘Billabong’, enjoyed with some champagne and a nice red. The dinner was superb and there was one happy birthday boy. After a couple of shots of Neil’s Bundaberg liqueur with ice we returned to ‘Echo Beach’ and slept like babies –didn’t feel or hear a thing! How a day goes so quickly! Thanks for a great dinner, Neil and Tamara!
Early the next morning the weather was right to continue our southward trek so we headed off for the 9-10 hour trip to the Percy Isles ( Neil purportedly taking his hangover with him...).
Despite some of our worst nights on ‘Echo Beach’ being at Scawfell Island (on the way North and then now), we do love this place. It is truly beautiful - hilly and green, clear green blue colours in the water, long sandy beaches, peaceful when you are the only ones here and quite simply idyllic. We have had more days of great weather here than not. On the good days it is a wonderful place to be – we have been fortunate to have had the pleasure twice!

Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Beach
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 405
Hailing Port: Newport, NSW
Crew: Graham & Leanne
Echo Beach's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 13 June 2019
1 Photo
Created 30 March 2013