"ECLECTIC"

the best of the best.....

07 September 2008 | Home
18 August 2008
07 August 2008
07 August 2008
01 August 2008
07 July 2008
05 July 2008
19 June 2008
07 June 2008 | Heading for St Helena Island
05 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
03 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
28 May 2008 | Cape Town
23 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
19 May 2008

Clifton Beach

06 May 2008 | 33 54.30'S:18 25.30'E
May 3, 2008

"Always carry a corkscrew and the wine shall provide itself."
Brendan Behan

We went to Clifton Beach and Camp's Bay on the western side of Cape Town yesterday as it was warm (28 C). We lay on the white sand beach and went for lunch at a sidewalk Caf�.
The place was loaded with models. I tried to get Donna to take my picture with some of them as I want to add a photo gallery, but she refused. The area reminded us of Miami's South Beach with the outside dining and beachfront views.

As we mentioned before we are running out of things to do here. Donna checks the newspaper daily to find "fun" things. Today she decided we would go to the Olive festival in Rieebek. The ride out there was just beautiful, olive groves, vineyards, mountains and farms. We sampled wines, of course olives, and multiple other ethnic foods which I could never pronounce. Donna is far more adventurous, eating "biltong" which is dried who knows what meat. It is some things I think we saw on safari, god knows I would be dead if I ate that stuff. The big event was an olive pit spitting contest which was fun to watch as I expected someone any minute to aspirate on the pit, but things went well.

Whenever we talk, folks know we are from America and ask us all kinds of questions. We simply say we are from Boston as almost everyone knows New York or Boston. I am sure we were the only Americans today at the Olive Festival. It is nice to think we "fit "in, as folks were speaking Afrikaan to us although we clearly don't know a single word they are saying.
To answer a question we have been frequently asked about our blog: where do we get our quotes? Donna and I have collected quotes for years, and we like the ones that are short and to the point. It is unfortunate that we cannot seem to remember any of the quotes at the appropriate moment, but rather 30 minutes to 30 hours later. Wait until you read the ones we have been saving for when we are sailing!

Donna is now looking through the newspaper for other fun things to do - we have participated in so many wine tastings that I think we just may have to go to the Betty Ford Clinic when we return. Oh god she just found another one in Cape Town this week!
Comments
Vessel Name: Eclectic
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, Rhode Island
Crew: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
About:
We are Wayne and Donna from Seekonk, MA (2 miles from the RI border) and have been married for 20 years and now have 2 grown children. We met while working in a hospital (both Registered Nurses) and attended Graduate school together. [...]
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

Meet the Crew

Who: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
Port: Newport, Rhode Island