"ECLECTIC"

the best of the best.....

07 September 2008 | Home
18 August 2008
07 August 2008
07 August 2008
01 August 2008
07 July 2008
05 July 2008
19 June 2008
07 June 2008 | Heading for St Helena Island
05 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
03 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
28 May 2008 | Cape Town
23 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
19 May 2008

Signal Hill

12 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
May 5, 2008

"In the end, everything is a gag."
Charlie Chaplin


Today we went to Signal Hill, where the South African Navy shoots off the daily Noon cannon, and has been doing so since 1806 (except Sundays and public holidays).
We decided to follow up on one of the previous blogs where it was reported that a cannonball from the noon gun destroyed a car 5 kilometers away.

Originally intended to signal the ships around Table Bay, via the noise and smoke, to set their chronometers (vital for accurate navigation) modern technology has turned this into just another tradition.
The guns were designed by Captain Thomas Blomfield in 1786 and cast by Walker & Company early in 1794. The British brought them to the Cape during their 1795 occupation and they were probably used by the Royal Navy in the battle of Muizenberg against the Dutch on August 7, 1795.
Since 1864 the guns have been fired automatically via a direct link to the South African Astronomical Observatory.

There are two guns and both are set up every day. They alternate firing one, with the other as a backup in the event the main gun does not fire and the backup needs to be fired manually. On January 7th, 2005 both guns failed to fire due to technical problems (the first time that happened in 200 years).
The gunner packs the barrel with a 2 Kg. powder charge and uses a ramrod to push it all the way in. He then punctures the powder bag with a metal rod through the firing hole, places a cartridge in the hole and arms the firing pin. At precisely noon, there is a loud bang accompanied by a huge puff of smoke and the tradition has continued.

I asked the gunner about the Chico killing shot: It was all an April Fools joke! He says he is still receiving phone calls about it. Even his superior officer called the day the article was published. What hurt the most was that he was referred to in the newspaper as a "rookie".
Comments
Vessel Name: Eclectic
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, Rhode Island
Crew: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
About:
We are Wayne and Donna from Seekonk, MA (2 miles from the RI border) and have been married for 20 years and now have 2 grown children. We met while working in a hospital (both Registered Nurses) and attended Graduate school together. [...]
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

Meet the Crew

Who: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
Port: Newport, Rhode Island