"ECLECTIC"

the best of the best.....

07 September 2008 | Home
18 August 2008
07 August 2008
07 August 2008
01 August 2008
07 July 2008
05 July 2008
19 June 2008
07 June 2008 | Heading for St Helena Island
05 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
03 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
28 May 2008 | Cape Town
23 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
19 May 2008

why we live

01 February 2008 | home
"He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how"
Nietzsche

There is an incredible degree of complexity in getting a new boat. The classic processes of boat design and building and the initial merging of the two is painful, and plans for the trip and voyage back are in a constant state of flux, which is why delays are expected. Donna and I could recently (and hopefully temporarily) be described as bipolar with daily emotional highs and lows; currently we are on a high after a call from David Bird.
Hull # 4 of the Admiral 40, "Eclectic" is on schedule to be launched the end of March 2008. Some changes have been made in the process in order to tighten up the production schedule, and therefore we will choose our finishes now and be 2 weeks closer to completion by our arrival. All of the other choices we need to make i.e. cushions, sunbrella, sails etc. will be completed within 10 days after we arrive, thereby maintaining the schedule.
Some new design changes and adjustments have been made as information becomes available from previous hull numbers. One welcome change is new style dinghy davits that will allow use of the aft walkway even with a boat in the davits. David Bird also tells me the mast height on the 40 is just less than 65 feet, which I am hoping may allow some use of the inter-coastal waterway. David and Craig are also making some changes in the production line of system installation that may make the delivery back a little less comfortable but faster since some components will be installed in Ft. Lauderdale. I think we can say good bye to any leisurely excursion through the islands, the goal is more delivery back to America (we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow).
Donna and I were told to book our flight, which is coach only, so visions of champagne and caviar can be replaced by an alternative choice of refreshing beverage and snack (diet coke and peanuts anyone).
Whatever the difficulties we will figure out the how; we know the why.

Wayne and Donna
Comments
Vessel Name: Eclectic
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, Rhode Island
Crew: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
About:
We are Wayne and Donna from Seekonk, MA (2 miles from the RI border) and have been married for 20 years and now have 2 grown children. We met while working in a hospital (both Registered Nurses) and attended Graduate school together. [...]
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

Meet the Crew

Who: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
Port: Newport, Rhode Island