"ECLECTIC"

the best of the best.....

07 September 2008 | Home
18 August 2008
07 August 2008
07 August 2008
01 August 2008
07 July 2008
05 July 2008
19 June 2008
07 June 2008 | Heading for St Helena Island
05 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
03 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
28 May 2008 | Cape Town
23 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
19 May 2008

Fortaleza Brazil

05 July 2008
Wayne's Log II


July 4th 2008

Really miss the 4th back home, miss Donna the dogs and our friends. They celebrate here (do not know why) but it is much subdued.
We did some maintenance on the engines and recalibrated the alternator regulators to put out a higher charge. Washed the salt off the boat and she looks great. People just keep coming by, commenting and asking questions.

We went to the beach area nightlife two nights in a row for dinner; the place has a certain energy which is infectious. I am looking for the girl from Ipanema (the song runs through my head as we walk) but we may be too far north. (Donna's comments "good thing! Keep walking")

No one speaks English here and I only know a few words in Portuguese. I am afraid to try speaking as I have a history of saying the wrong thing and do not wish to start an international incident. Although my idea of declaring war on a country and negotiating a retirement a la Napoleon would not be a bad idea here. Nice beaches, beautiful women, and evidently they are not used to blue eyed blondes (in my case blondish-grey) as I have been approached on several occasions; but I do not know what they are saying (they look at my eyes, and pinch my cheek or stroke my beard). (Donna's comments " I know exactly what they are saying ! Hold on to your wallet, don't make eye contact and don't go out alone after dark")

Today our plans include getting the laundry done (found a Laundromat) go to the grocery shop, get some alternator belts (dos, negro) try to get the propane refilled and hopefully take a tour. It would be nice to get some history but we are having a hard time finding an English speaking tour guide. We ran into an American couple and they were just so happy to talk to someone in English that we accommodated them while we had dinner. The best thing here is they bring you a liter bottle of ice cold beer in a polystyrene container and a very small glass. The beer stays very cold right down to the last drop; I am looking to buy one of those containers.

We are watching the weather and may leave on here on Tuesday to head to Barbados.

Comments
Vessel Name: Eclectic
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, Rhode Island
Crew: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
About:
We are Wayne and Donna from Seekonk, MA (2 miles from the RI border) and have been married for 20 years and now have 2 grown children. We met while working in a hospital (both Registered Nurses) and attended Graduate school together. [...]
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

Meet the Crew

Who: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
Port: Newport, Rhode Island