"ECLECTIC"

the best of the best.....

07 September 2008 | Home
18 August 2008
07 August 2008
07 August 2008
01 August 2008
07 July 2008
05 July 2008
19 June 2008
07 June 2008 | Heading for St Helena Island
05 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
03 June 2008 | Cape Town SA
28 May 2008 | Cape Town
23 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
21 May 2008 | Cape Town SA
19 May 2008

Heading for the Good Old U-S-of-A

01 August 2008
To those who believe no explanation is necessary. To those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.
"The Song of Bernadette"



July 23, 2008

We took exactly 40 Gallons (Imperial Gallons) of Diesel at $513 EC ($2.7 EC to 1 USD) total. I am having a difficult time doing the math to calculate a comparable US price per gallon. But I do figure we burn under � gallon per hour running the engine. We were not out of the Rodney Bay Lagoon channel when the port engine overheat light came on and we had to shut the engine down. Fortunately the boat handles well with one engine. It turns out that one of the times an alternator belt broke a piece of it got underneath the small belt that turns the water pump, and that belt broke. Wayne P and I spent some time upside down in the engine compartment; in the bilge replacing that belt after first having to remove the alternator belt and then replacing that again. We lost coolant (which we have plenty on board) and fired up the engine which ran fine. I am very glad the Chief Engineer is on board.
We had a good night under Main and Genoa on a beam reach at 6-9 knots. The weather has been great, but we just heard that at Tropical wave has formed and we will have 25 knots of wind out of the North East; which means the spinnaker will come down and we go back to a reefed Main and Genoa.

July 25, 2008

A ship or boat at sea is often referred to as a city unto itself. You are responsible for all of the public works departments, water, gas, sewer, electric (we call it Eclectic electric) and if you cannot fix it you must do without. So in a way we are our own municipality. We spend a lot of time monitoring and maintaining these systems.
We reached the Mona Passage which runs between Puerto Rico and the Dominican
Republic and the wind died. We motor sailed to the next waypoint (85 miles) and then turned with a following wind and sea under spinnaker along the North coast of the
DR. After a day we were off Cabo FrancesViejo (Cape); I have an aunt
Frances in Florida but she is not Spanish: I lay claim to Cape Frances in the name of my aunt and the city of Eclectic.
We are coming up on Haiti and like the DR we can smell it in tones of burning wood and a farm/animal smell. It is less than 150 miles to Cuba and if I could find a way to get there I would. I always picture the old Life and Look magazines with restored 1950's American cars and a former US vacation paradise: I am hoping to sail there some day. John (being a citizen of South Africa) has been there and he says it is an unspoiled Caribbean island with great harbors and anchorages.
Due to the change in maintenance facilities; it is beginning to look more and more as if I will not get Eclectic home this year. After a month or so in FL., I have to be in Annapolis for the boat to be cleaned and prepped for the boat show, and may just leave it there until November and head south not returning to RI until next spring. That is another major disappointment for me which I will try to get over by staying warm over the winter in Florida and the Bahamas.

July 30, 2008

After cruising for two days along the north shore of Cuba, we turned up toward the Florida Keys and are 200 nm south of Ft. Lauderdale which when we reach it will complete 7,100 nm in 43 days of sailing. The boat (and I) had a tendency to turn toward Havana; but the presence of the US Coast Guard helicopters and Cutter made me rethink that course (the boat still wanted to go there).
After we turned north we were stopped and questioned by the Coast Guard cutter Kodiak Island (calling S/V Electric): they were very professional and declined my offer to board and see my new boat. They just asked for the last port we cleared from and where we were bound, and wished us a pleasant trip.
I am currently printing out documentation for warranty work and work I need quotes on that are not warranty issues.
I am still hoping (dreaming) that the work can be completed in 2-3 weeks and I can sail home for a month before going to Annapolis the first week in October. It will be HOT in Ft. Lauderdale until the Air Conditioning goes in. I may go home and get some work done and then return to check and work on the boat. There is a large list of things I need to accomplish in order to feel comfortable before going south for the winter. I cannot wait to see Donna et al.

July 31, 2008

We are 50 nm from the entrance to Ft. Lauderdale and I am ready to get there. We have picked up the Gulf Stream current and are moving at 8.7 knot SOG (speed over ground). We should arrive around dark and have a slip assignment at Fun in the Sun Charters who have a good maintenance reputation and will be handling the warranty work. We will be the first Admiral to have warranty work done there (in most cases I hate being first) and I am hoping for a good experience.
On watch last night just before, midnight I notices we were equidistant to Andros island in the "Bahamas, Cuba and the Florida Keys; pretty cool.






Comments
Vessel Name: Eclectic
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Newport, Rhode Island
Crew: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
About:
We are Wayne and Donna from Seekonk, MA (2 miles from the RI border) and have been married for 20 years and now have 2 grown children. We met while working in a hospital (both Registered Nurses) and attended Graduate school together. [...]
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

Meet the Crew

Who: Captain Wayne and Admiral Donna
Port: Newport, Rhode Island