Dreamin' of Sailing

Playa Santispac (Mulege)

13 January 2017
Sunny, 70's
So far we have been up and on the road at 8am every morning, and this is our first stop where we have 2 nights and we can kick back and relax for a day. Playa Santispac is just outside of Mulege. There are two restaurants, but otherwise basically no amenities. It is beach camping. We enjoyed a nice hike along what was the old Transpeninsular Hwy before the new road was built in the 70's. It is like a goat path -- I'm not sure what kind of vehicles would have travelled on this narrow, rocky road! We also enjoyed kayaking out in the bay, although unfortunately the dolphins weren't out when we were kayaking. From the beach we watched dolphins jumping and playing, but they were no where to be found when we were on the kayak.

One of our favorite things at this beach are the local vendors. As soon as we pulled in we encountered a lady selling fresh shrimp (big ones!) freshly caught today. We couldn't resist. Wow! The best shrimp ever. Then a guy came by selling bakery goods. Fresh bread and mango empanadas. Then someone came by selling fresh fruit and vegetables. I can see that we could survive very happily on this beach with all of the fresh food.

This is the location where we will return to during the month of February for our Rotary project. We got to see our local Rotary contact (who lives in Central Oregon half time), and he gave us a tour of many of the local beaches. Five other Rotarians from Bend will fly down in February and we will all work on the Rotary project together.

And the saga continues for poor #7. He was able to get his replacement leaf springs and meet up with us on the beach. However, en route, the bolts that attach the springs broke, so he had to make another stop to get bolts. But then the brackets cracked, so now he has to get them welded. When taking the trailer in to town to find the welding shop, one of his tires came off, breaking the lug nuts. He then drove over the tire, doing more damage. He now has to drop out of the tour for a couple of weeks so he can order new parts and get his RV repaired. We feel so bad for him and his wife. It is a reminder of how hard these roads are on vehicles. We have been so happy in our Navion. It is very compact (we are one of the smallest in the caravan) but so easy to drive and maneuver in these tight parks and narrow roads.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elara
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 mk2
Hailing Port: La Conner, WA
Crew: Dave and Mari Latimer
About: Dave and Mari live in La Conner, WA, and sail the San Juan Islands and surrounding waters. The blog is used for both sailing and RV adventures.
Extra:
Elara is the 8th largest moon of Jupiter, and is named after Elara, one of the lovers of Zeus and the mother of the giant, Tityus. She was a mortal princess, the daughter of King Orchomenus. Zeus hid her from his wife, Hera, deep within the Earth, where she gave birth to Tityus. We sailed a boat [...]
Elara's Photos - Main
88 Photos
Created 19 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
71 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Enjoy some photos of our 2012 adventures between St. Helens and Astoria. Stops include Cathlamet, Ilwaco and Astoria.
13 Photos
Created 17 May 2013