Dreamin' of Sailing

Pescadero

23 January 2017
Sunny and hot
Today is the first day that felt like a bit of a "bust' on this trip. It felt like a long day, as we had to stop to get propane (our first refill since arriving in Mexico), do grocery shopping, and get to our location. Of course, everything is more time consuming when you are traveling in a group of RV's. Things were going ok though, until we arrived at our destination. Here, we hit a new low. We knew that the facilities would be "rustic" and we've become quite accustomed to "rustic" -- we knew we'd be staying in a parking lot behind a resort and that we'd be able to use all of the facilities -- the pool, beach, restrooms, etc. But when we arrived, it was really beyond what we expected as "rustic". It was a dusty, dirty lot with dead palm trees and other dead plants and the lot was surrounded by barbed wire. Come to find out, since the arrangements were made for us to stay here, the property changed hands and we're no longer welcome here. Dave and I enjoyed the afternoon anyway (before we knew there was a problem) and visited the pool and hot tub and walked the beach. We saw grey whales blowing and even jumping, we watched surfers, and just enjoyed the sunshine.

Our Wagonmasters believe that this has become part of a drug cartel. That is just speculation at this point, but based on some uneasy feelings we have, we decided to stay behind and guard the camp while everyone else went out to dinner. We've made a schedule adjustment and instead of staying here for three nights we're getting the heck out of here first thing in the morning. We will head back to Playa Tecolote, near La Paz, for a couple of days. No internet coverage there, so we'll be quiet for a few days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elara
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 mk2
Hailing Port: La Conner, WA
Crew: Dave and Mari Latimer
About: Dave and Mari live in La Conner, WA, and sail the San Juan Islands and surrounding waters. The blog is used for both sailing and RV adventures.
Extra:
Elara is the 8th largest moon of Jupiter, and is named after Elara, one of the lovers of Zeus and the mother of the giant, Tityus. She was a mortal princess, the daughter of King Orchomenus. Zeus hid her from his wife, Hera, deep within the Earth, where she gave birth to Tityus. We sailed a boat [...]
Elara's Photos - Main
88 Photos
Created 19 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
71 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Enjoy some photos of our 2012 adventures between St. Helens and Astoria. Stops include Cathlamet, Ilwaco and Astoria.
13 Photos
Created 17 May 2013