Dreamin' of Sailing

Playa Tecolote and Bahia Balandra

24 January 2017
Warm and WINDY
We returned to our beloved Playa Tecolote, by way of Todos Santos. Dave and I had been to Todos Santos before, but we came away with a better impression than we did the first time. The people were very friendly and it was a beautiful little town. It is home to many artists, local as well as from the US and Canada. Lots of great shops, cafes, restaurants, etc..

We arrived at Tecolote Beach and had a great afternoon in the sunshine, followed by our traditional happy hour. We were thrilled with the unexpected return, as we had talked about coming back on our own in February.

During the night the wind picked up, we're guessing about 3omph. By about 10am, no one had surfaced from the RV's, everyone was hunkered down. Finally there was a knock-knock on the door and everyone had decided to leave the beach and head in to an RV park in La Paz for showers and laundry. That sounded a little too civilized for us when we could stay at the beach, so we decided to stay behind for another day, along with one other couple (David and Margita). It was blowing like crazy, but we took a hike to one of the nearby bays, Bahia Balandra, which was quite protected from the wind, and then hiked back over the mountains. We discovered that there were several hidden bays, accessible only by foot or by boat. It was really a remarkable day. We did an impromptu "pot luck" between the 4 of us, and enjoyed fresh Yellow Fin Tuna.

The wind carried on all night and into the next morning. With the new moon and the large wind waves, the tide was quite high in the morning, and actually was coming up to the tires of our friends RV.

Since we were now traveling alone rather than in a caravan, we took advantage of the opportunity and took a leisurely drive along the coast, through La Paz, and stopped at my favorite grocery store, Mega. I was so happy not to be at Walmart!! It's the little things that make me smile.

We met up with the caravan in La Paz.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elara
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 mk2
Hailing Port: La Conner, WA
Crew: Dave and Mari Latimer
About: Dave and Mari live in La Conner, WA, and sail the San Juan Islands and surrounding waters. The blog is used for both sailing and RV adventures.
Extra:
Elara is the 8th largest moon of Jupiter, and is named after Elara, one of the lovers of Zeus and the mother of the giant, Tityus. She was a mortal princess, the daughter of King Orchomenus. Zeus hid her from his wife, Hera, deep within the Earth, where she gave birth to Tityus. We sailed a boat [...]
Elara's Photos - Main
88 Photos
Created 19 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
71 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Enjoy some photos of our 2012 adventures between St. Helens and Astoria. Stops include Cathlamet, Ilwaco and Astoria.
13 Photos
Created 17 May 2013